Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mad new cam cover - bulk buy?

Julian Thompson

OK then, I'll get Tony not to bother with these silly cam covers and make me some light blocks instead.

😬

Ahem.

Maybe a nice Xmas present. Try explaining that to your loved one.

"You'd like what?"

"A pair of HE30 custom tooled alloy light mounting blocks."

"?"

"Yes, you know, they're black and, erm, next to my lights. They're ever so heavy."

"?"

"These new ones..............."

CLUNK...............

So, it looks like deceit will be the only option again.....

"Yes love, £6 each from some mad old guy in Macclesfield. They'll do anything up North for a Tenner you know....."

😬

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes, the elusive car girl that isn't trying to compete with you to show you how "into cars" she is, and yet who can be quiet, sensitive and loving.

And can cook a mean lobster thermidor too.

And who looks remarkably like Jennifer Aniston.

Not so easy to find, eh?

If you fit the above description and would like a free alloy cam cover and set of lightweight light blocks, just let me know 😬

Take that wig off Hoopy.....I'll not be fooled

I've only been away for a few days, and come back to all these options over and above the bag of bolts (her indoors is fast asleep, so I guess I can have my pick).

Please can you 'upgrade' my order to:

Blue with linished fins, small breather, and bag of bolts. I think that comes to £143.93.

Once you have confirmed this is OK, I'll get a cheque in the post to you.

btw as an occasional visitor to BlatChat, I have to say that this is an excellent thread.

Thanks.

2) NIGE, and the "back to airbox" issue,

I thought that this was the cause of the "soggy and nasty airbox" syndrome that plagues production cars? Ie that that outlet doesn't run in vaccum all the time? Peter C also gave some excellent reasons why the outlet ought not be passed back to the catch tank like condensation/acidic issues and so surely it is unwise to put it into the filter??????????

Think we may be talking about 2 different things here.

Only the catch tank has condensates from the oil system, which I agree would best be left outside the engine. These get into the catch tank because the "conning tower" breather actually breathes outward.

Production cars use a plenum, not exactly an airbox. The plenum has a single throttle body. Mine will use the Jenvey's. It's just a cold air intake feeding the Jenvey's. Filter at the leading edge of the airbox. I planned to run the breather intake (it's not an outlet) from the airbox backplate as I could sort of guarantee the air quality from there.

One point that I am interested to investigate further is whether the vacuum in the airbox, created by the engine's inlet, is greater than the vacuum in the cam cover. If it is, we'll get a general expulsion of oil which would be a bad thing. I'm hoping someone here might be able to advise... please.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Edited by - V7 SLR on 29 Oct 2002 09:29:24

Julian - I'll bother you about a cam cover another time. If it saves weight then I have to have one but can wait until this order's done with.

Lights...Been thinking about this for some time. Two options the way I see it:

1) Build up a carbon fibre box to mount them on. I reckon this would be relatively straightforward and would, for those equipped with other carbon bits, look quite fetching (as well as being lighter than the rubber caravan mounts).

2) A completely different design of light. Current train of thought is LEDs and to this end, having been staring at the back of buses for a while, I've found a few suppliers...

My current favourite is a single round light that would have a strip of indicator LEDs across the middle, a stop light in the top segment and a tail light in the lower segment.

Not sure how this'd look though 9maybe a bit too "MkI Cortina", so I'm also thinking about strip lights a la the Mk1 Maser 3200 GT.

When I finally move house and have 5mins spare I'm going to mock up some pictures of the rear of my car to see what the various options would look like.

LED lights should be quite a bit lighter than the std. items and should last longer, LEDs not requiring bulbs...they'll also be flush fit more or less.

Am also thinking of knocking up some small but very bright LED fog lights. As mentioned elsewhere, now I've kicked the need for more power I have this irrational desire to make the rear of the car as absolutely clean as possible (which is why I'm also looking into a TVR-esque rear number plate).

I only own 0.5% of him with the other 199 flats. You're posh cos you have a spare room

Actually, as a slightly serious point - if anybody can't be at home to receive their cam cover then you can send it to my address. I can bring it into work in the city and meet you one lunch time to exchange it. I'm also always at the central london meet and hope to get to some of the near north london meets more regularly as well.

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

Regarding this topic Hoopy, I've agreed the sale of the cams with Craig so I've emailed you regarding movement of money etc... It's gone to your line1 account though because your profile on BlatChat doesn't have your work account.

Which account would you like me to set as default? If it's work, let me know again what it is.

Ta.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours