Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mad new cam cover - bulk buy?

Julian Thompson

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ju (and Hoopy) I've looked at the wet sump design, and love the breather arrangement. If the dry sump cover can be incorporated with one only breather, then I think I'll go with it. I've just emailed you for more discussion, but since then I've made my mind up...

One dry sump cover in silver with one breather and a bag of bolts please.

I take it this'll be £128.93 or thereabouts??

That OK Hoopy? Should be seeing Miraz in a couple of weeks to exchange his wheels for some folding. Could arrange to pay you through him or can sort out the Autosports tickets in part... let me know your thoughts.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Damn... I noticed the breather comes in two sizes. Which one do I need to allow the dry sump system to breathe? I would guess fairly small diameter for two reasons:

1. To retain a partial vacuum in the engine

2. To allow a pipe to fit over it (I'll probably connect this into the airbox).

Can anyone advise regarding the breather size please?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Julian

Can't get my email to work at present - thanks for the reply and I'll try and get a pic of the Apollo hole to you but I fear it will not be an electronic pic knowing my computer skills.....I'll include it with the cheque.

On the issue of breathers.... I guess I only need one (the smaller one). Looking at my standard cover one of the two breathers is plugged off and the other (nearer the cockpit) runs a hose to the catch tank. Thus I guess I only need the one breather which ties in with what Nig says in his post. I hope I'm not confusing things here!

Julian

E-mail to you failed via BlatChat...

I'd like to remove the timing access point from my cam cover order, can't justify the cost really. I'd also like to change to one breather only.

That leaves me at one breather, red with linished fins and the bolt kit.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by - Count on 28 Oct 2002 12:32:54

Hoopy, a few points to clarify:

1. Dry sump has no breathers in use from the cam cover. The 2 that are "available" on the cam cover are blocked off. The dry sump breathes only from the "conning tower".

2. PC suggests it's worth unblocking one to help oil flow from the head to the sump. So you don't need 2 breathers as in the piccies Julian posted (nice piccies, espesh the bread bin). The piccies were to show a replica of the standard configuration of the K cam cover but Julian offers as many breathers as you want. I only want one.

3. It's probably better to retain a marginal vacuum so you don't need a big breather either. Julian's pictures show 2 different sized openings (again, replicating what the K has as standard). I'd like the smaller one. I'll connect up my breather to the airbox (so I don't need an additional filter)./

That make sense? *confused*

Thanks for helping with the "other" issue. ££££££££ *wink*

Julian order 009 Johnty Lyons I'll go with one small breather as well may as well encourage the oil to get down to the dry sump.

So that's red anodised fins polished bolt kit and a small breather.

Thanks Carriage to ireland is likly to be expensive so just send mine whereever your sending V7s and Hoopey's as we will all meet in Jan. *eek* *eek* *eek*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

I'm convinced by the breather principle for the Caterham dry sump, as long as it is small. I also don't think you need a filter if you pipe it into your airbox. If you don't have an airbox then an individual filter would be nec. Not sure whether the PACE system will generate the same vacuum, but I would guess so, as the operation is similar and there shouldn't be any other breathers in that system.

Sorry to add to the burden, but it's more money for your friend at the end of the day. I'm sure that'll mean more favours coming your way. *thumbup*

Hey - no hassle! I'm doing this as a diversion from my deadline ridden, cost concious, commercial standard, courteously behaved day job which can get a bit much sometimes as I'm sure you'll all agree.

It's not the money; if I end up making enough "equity" to pay Tony for some other daft scheme it'll amount to what? A hundred quid? Dunno but certainly a nominal sum. No. If I'm totally honest it must be some kind of peverse pride based on the age old addage that copying is the sincerest form of flattery and just look at how far we've come in terms of the development of the product in just a couple of weeks using each other for ideas. It is truly astounding; people doing something they love creates results that are just unthinkable for even well paid professionals in a given time frame.

Anyhow.

Back to business.

1) BREATHERS.

The design of the breathers isn't brilliantly clear on my pix. But, this is how it works and it is VERY clever. The cam cover has 2 standardised holes, *pretty large* drilled and tapped into the side of it. Then, the "breather" outlets are screwed into these threads; therefore changing the breather size is simply a question of replacing the screw in outlet with one with a different i/d. I suggest going for the small one initially, this way you can drill it out yourself if you need a bigger one.

2) NIGE, and the "back to airbox" issue,

I thought that this was the cause of the "soggy and nasty airbox" syndrome that plagues production cars? Ie that that outlet doesn't run in vaccum all the time? Peter C also gave some excellent reasons why the outlet ought not be passed back to the catch tank like condensation/acidic issues and so surely it is unwise to put it into the filter??????????

3) As we are talking dry sump here I presume you guy's won't need the breather channels like the wet sump one - just the actual outlets, since you won't be using a gasket anyhow.

4) ANYONE MENTIONING ALLOY LIGHT BLOCKS AT THE MOMENT WILL BE FORMALLY SHOT !!!!!!!!

000D Me (-dry sump prototype-)

000W Simon Hayward (-wet sump prototype-BOLT KIT) £153.93

001D Hoopy (RED, BOLT KIT, 1 SMALL BREATHER) £143.93

002D Nige V7 (BOLT KIT, 1 SMALL BREATHER) £128.93

003D Count (RED/SILVER, BOLT KIT, 1 SMALL BREATHER) £143.93

004D John Howe (BOLT KIT, 1 SMALL BREATHER) £128.93

005D TopHose (BOLT KIT) £113.93

006D David Ward (BLACK/SILVER, BOLT KIT, 1 SMALL BREATHER, APOLLO RETURN) £158.93

007D Clive (BOLT KIT) £113.93

008D Mark Durrant (BOLT KIT) £113.93

009D Johnty Lyons (RED/SILVER, 1 SMALL BREATHER, BOLT KIT) £143.93

010D Lawrence Hoy (RED, BOLT KIT) £128.93

011D Mark Boardman (BLACK/SILVER, BOLT KIT, TIMING ACCESS, 1 SMALL BREATHER) £203.93

I THINK this is it? PLEASE, PLEASE, check this list carefully again.

I've spoken to Tony today and agreed a format. He's going to do the first batch of 5 once we have 5 cheques. The next ones will be done once the next batch of 5 cheques is in. And so on.

Now, one more thing I don't think you need me for. When the cover is fitted the spark plug lead shafts are not sealed from water, which could allow any ingress dripping down from the bonnet louvres to end up in yer plug holes with the enevitable loss of several cylinders! All you need is 4 nice "O" rings which just clip in between the head and the thoughtfully sized holes in the cam cover. These seal the plug shafts in properly. Don't forget them, now lads! If anyone wants the exact size of "0" ring then I'll check tomorrow and post it up sometime later this week......