Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mad new cam cover - bulk buy?

Julian Thompson

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must... resist... blue... anodizing.... must... resist.... can't... afford... unnecessary.... must ... resist... phew... sweat... someone... hold... me... back...

I'll still have the standard Silver please Ju.

Can't wait. Any chance it'll be ready next weekend? *tongue*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Ok been away few hrs Bag bolts please and Red anodised with the fins polished silver. Dogs Dangleys where and when you want the cash get it in quick don't be out of pocket Others have been caught before, Only good thing is everyone on your list is well known. *thumbup* *wink*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

And.....

Tony's been a busy boy again...

See the new thread "Mad new cam cover for WET SUMP K's....."

Therefore if anyone wants a breather setup they can be "ordered" now at a cost of £15 per outlet.......

I am now sorely tempted to "flog" my cover and get a breather'd one............. *confused*

Julian

I've e-mailed you a confirmation of what I'd like. I'm curious as to the cam timing access point - what's this all about ?

Now what I want next is a carbon fibre cover to replace the plastic timing cover (complete with nasty hole), but..........this would also look good in thin panel anodised alluminium to match the cam cover. It could also have a nice logo etched on it - what say Julian ??

The cam timing access cover is basically a pair of alloy plates which will cover the timing lobes on each cam. You'll be able to remove them, and then bolt your DTI to the (very flat and consistant) surface of the cover using the 4 threads on each hole used to secure the cover. This should provide a very accurate timing setup since the guage will be held much, much, more securely than in the normal way using the outer cam cover bolts. It also means 15 seconds work to access the timing rather than a 1/2 hour (and of course if you're using a hylomar gasket it saves disturbing this).

I personally won't be bothering with this option but it's there if you want it !

ooooooh yes, please, carbon camwheel covers. Not my department I'm afraid - I have nobody I know locally that can be bribed with beer and car radio's that is any good at composites !

I suppose I could get Tony to machine one from a solid billet of "unobtainium" but at £ six trillion pounds each I think the demand would be *very limited* 😬

Then again, I thought this cam cover idea was pretty "extreme!"

I'll look into the idea of carbon fibre covers to replace the plastic effort then. I'd say before even doing any homework it's going to need about 7-10 people and the cost is going to be a figure best kept to yourself if the wife is about.

I'll start another thread if I can get anything going.

Julian - how red does your man think the red anodising will be?? I've resisted this thread so far, but it looks too interesting to resist for too much longer...

Count - there's a guy on here that does carbon fibre for a "hobby" I believe. I think he's called Mick. Don't think it's mic (Attree) but a search for "carbon fibre hobby carmichael" should pull it up as PC posted it...

Andy - resistance is useless where expensive, bespoke machined car candy is concerned 😬

I'm not sure just what shade of red but from my experience with anodised bits it is generally that sort of pinkish hued, almost transclucent red isn't it?

Count - put me down for one of your ( *wink*and now notice it's "your" responsibility....!) c/f timing covers then as long as it is not too eye wateringly expensive!

Well, the *final* list seems to be something like this, then:

000D Me (-dry sump prototype-)

000W Simon Hayward (-wet sump prototype-BOLT KIT) £153.93

001D Hoopy (RED, BOLT KIT) £128.93

002D Nige V7 (BOLT KIT) £113.93

003D Count (RED/SILVER, BOLT KIT, TIMING ACCESS, 2 BREATHERS) £218.93

004D John Howe (BOLT KIT) £113.93

005D TopHose (BOLT KIT) £113.93

006D David Ward (BLACK/SILVER, BOLT KIT, 2 BREATHERS, APPOLLO FEED) £173.93

007D Clive (BOLT KIT) £113.93

008D Mark Durrant (BOLT KIT) £113.93

009D Johnty Lyons (RED/SILVER, BOLT KIT) £128.93

010D Lawrence Hoy (RED, BOLT KIT) £128.93

011D Mark Boardman (BLACK/SILVER, BOLT KIT) £128.93

Please check this specification VERY carefully and let me know any changes you'd like (or errors I've made!) before we "shut the door".

I have calculated the prices above based on this price profile:

Drysump cover £100

Bolt kit £3.93

Anodisation £15 (silver, red, blue, black, purple(!))

Breather outlet channel £15 each

Appollo return facility £15

Cam timing access points £60

Wetsump oil cap £30

Please note that I HAVE included carriage at £10 - please deduct this from your payment if you'd like to come to sunny Macclesfield to collect it !!!!!!!

I have ummed and aahed about how to do the "money" thing; and since we're talking well over a grand for all the covers I think it only fair for me to request the wonga upfront. This also protects me from having a load of camcovers if you all get run over or simultaneously decide to order VX powered cars in the mean time........Only kidding 😬

Please make your cheques payable to me - NOT Thompson's Ltd - and send 'em to

JULIAN THOMPSON.

Thompson's Ltd

83-87 Park Lane

Macclesfield

Cheshire

SK11 6TX.

And some tel numbers:

Main shop 01625 425033

Workshop 01625 425809

Main shop fax 01625 265610

Audio shop(I'm normally here) 01625 261581

Audio shop fax 01625 260262

My mobile (normally turned off because I can't get any work done with the confounded thing ringing at me all the time and whichever *wat invented them wants shooting....... 07718342083)

So, finally, lead time. Not entirely sure. Whilst the numbering is going to be done as per your order confirmations I suspect we'll make the "simpler" ones first, and necessarily the anodised ones will take a tad longer since they will have to endure further processing. I suppose a lot depends on just how busy our man is when he gets the *thumbup* from me to "Ready, Steady, Mill" , but I reckon on a couple of weeks. Please don't shoot me, however, if some of you guys have a slightly longer wait though. Anyone "needing" their cover urgently should explain this in a note along with your cheque and I'll try and organise you first.

Anything else?

Erm, no. Don't think so.

Oh yes, there was one thing. Notice in the above list that where you have opted for anodisation, some of them say,"RED/SILVER" or whatever, and some just "RED". This indicates that the former one is to have the fins linished and the latter one is to be supplied un-linished.

Please make sure your choice is correctly represented.

Ta. *cool*

Nah - I'm doing it because I want Tony to make me some very lightweight rear light blocks from a solid, hollowed out chunk - I'll have them anodised black and they'll look the conkers.

And he won't dare charge me a cent after all this lot !

(I also want my brake discs cross drilling)

(and.........)