Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mad new cam cover - bulk buy?

Julian Thompson

Following my posts for Peter C to answer (he and DVA did this first) - I would like to offer you guys the "chance?" to get one of the cam covers being made for me.

For those who have no idea what I'm on about, the std K cam cover weighs approx 3kg and has an oil filler cap and 2 breather outputs not used in the dry sump installation.

Peter's cover was 3mm Dural, but since his engine had further reinforcement in the block we decided to use a thicker setup.

Tony did some homework using my VHPD cam cover as the test one, and decided he could engineer a new, flat cover from a solid 5/8" billet of HE30 Dural.

This billet is to be extensively machined to give an original-esque grooved design on top, with appropriate thinning above the plug orifices and other weight saving measures.

We are hoping that finished weight is going to be approx 1.5kg - saving 1.5kg and that the new item will be even stiffer than the original by virtue of its superior metal grade.

I absolutely intended this to be a "one off" for me, but as indicated on my more personal post, there looks like there could be a few of you as mad as me out there!

Cost is going to be less than £100, for sure. Beyond that I can't comment since the final £ depends on how many orders Tony gets.

Personally I don't care how many of you want one because as I say, I wanted it purely because it could be done, but if you would like to get involved and have one of these little rascals then bang your name down here and I'll get one sorted for you.

So far I have Hoopy ,Nige (V7), Count as interested nutters (If you lads definately want one then say so)

Perhaps you'd like to see photos of mine first?

I hope it should be done some time next week

(bloody hope so because I've not driven the thing in almost 2 weeks ☹️)

Edited by - Julian Thompson on 24 Oct 2002 23:00:44

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep interested,, usual price caveats bla bla

I have the caterham dry sump system so am guessing that I would need the breathers blobked up or not there in the first place, if you where planing to put them in

Quick question tho...

I have the EU3 engine that has the coils attached tp the top of plugs 1 & 3 (or is 2 &4 🤔), will the cam cover be able to cope with this?

rob

Yup - Or maybe you lot are as mad as me!!!! But Peter did it first so that makes him worse than us 😬

Yes - it could be thinner (we could just copy PC's and have a 4mm plate or whatever but the idea was to use the fins for strength in the same way the std one uses its depth for the same rigidity.

I have studied the engine carefully as a relative layman, and TBH I can't see that the strength is a problem but certainly I don't want a warped engine for the sake of 250g worth of fins!!!!

Any more knowledgeable takes on the strength issue here are of course welcome......

I'm hoping to visit my engineer tomorrow to discuss the design with him. I would like it to look really nice too, as well asa being lighter and stronger......

ah right - gotcha. i thought the fins were purely cosmetic - if they're adding stiffness then groovy *thumbup*

Is longitudinally the direction that needs the stiffness then most then 🤔

Just thinking aloud - if we're getting custom bits made we might as well explore the all possibilites..

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

Love to see pix of yours Dave, thicknesses, design, weights etc as this will help us.

Price no probs now that a few of us are interested.

Had Tony think carefully today about strength - he would now like to make it from HE15, which is apparantly better than HE30 in terms of tensile strength and will allow a thinner plate.

Not sure ref the requirement for lengthways fins ref strength, but I guess this would be weakest since it is the longest gap between sides?

Basically, the plan right now is to get prototype #1 and weigh/measure/post photos etc and get feedback before adjusting the design as appropriate and commissioning Tony to make the batch of covers for us all; in the mean time I can still drive my car then because I'll have prototype #1 to use while he faffs about etc.

PS if anyone has a spare cam cover for me to use in the interim I'd be grateful!!

Getting withdrawal symptoms!

Jue

Julian,

Mine is 11mm thick aluminium with 1mm raised ribs (more aethetic than functional).

It weighs 2.1Kgs.

e-mail me off list and i'll send you a pic of it in situ. I might be able to arrange a better photo if needed - let me know.

Dan

Fury K series

Warrior 1400

151bhp 😬

Edited by - dan j on 9 Oct 2002 10:32:51

Edited by - dan j on 9 Oct 2002 10:33:21

Indeed Chris.

My family has known them for years, and we use them for any "mad" little idea's like this. Tony is a superb engineer, whose enthusiasm for a given project is always exceptional. He gets involved and tries to add to your input.

As you will appreciate, someone like this who understands the finer points of material stress and product design from personal experience since childhood isn't easy to find and Tony is a busy man. I feel awkward pestering him but he insists it is no problem as long as we keep one point of contact.

I will continue to gently pester Tony for the next week or so......... V11UFO must be up and running for Oulton Park on the 30th! - Avec cam cover!

Jue

Edited by - Julian Thompson on 24 Oct 2002 23:02:10