Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New pushrod front suspension

Tight fart

it should allow rising, instead of the current falling, rate suspension.

If you think how the front suspension works the damper gets more horizontal as it moves up and the effective spring rate falls. This is not good - you want the rate to rise - which is why they sometimes fit preogressive springs on the rear - they do the same thing by being cunnuingly made springs.

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU

Yes but you still get a falling rate damper, so fitting a rising rate spring is not as good as doing it properly.

Freestyle are Gary May (of Juno fame) and Len Unwin (ex-factory after sales service manager and original author of the "they all do that sir" phrase)

Gary has been working on this for some time. His original idea was to retain the original dampers but now they are in bed with AVO I can make a guess what they will be fitting. I also saw Nitron talking to them on Saturday.

It looked a neat bit of kit to me for what it's worth *confused*

I bumped into Guy of Nitron too but he didn't seem too pleased to see me 😬

Peter, what ride height is your car running at the back (if it's not a secret of course 😬) One of the lads at the local Bucks meet has Nitrons but claims to only have 10mm droop travel on the rear suspension, was wondering what you've got in that department? fnar fnar.

I did say to the chap (who thought he had Elise shocks?!) that maybe he should get hold of Guy and ask him as I'm sure something can be done with a basic damper rebuild.

On the rear droop front, the Nitrons' open length sets the de dion tube in exactly the same position as the Bilsteins.

Just as a sense check, rear axle loading is something like 330kg with a driver. I use 150lb/in springs, so spring compression at ride level is 2.5 inches (63.5mm). If I want 25mm of droop travel then I set ~38mm preload on the springs.

Once the first few bike manufacturers went to rocker arm / rising rate rear suspension 20 years ago it has been universally excepted as the best thing since sliced bread.

Certainly any linear / falling rate bikes I've ridden have noticeably poorer ride for a given level of control.

Also...

If the spring has to deflect further at greater travel deflections (say 1" for first 1" wheel travel and 3" for first 2" of wheel travel, for example), then surely the damping rate will be increased due to the speed sensitivity of oil damping, (damper rod speed being increased by the greater distance moved in the same time).

I might be wrong tho *confused*

Mark

Still not 'spotted' ☹️