Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2011 Tech Forum

Simon.Rogers1

I personally do not have an issue being in Class 5 with higher power cars, as I readily admit that it's down to driver ability. I can see the case for the Busa / sequential boxes being in 6, but to split the remainder may dilute the class to much. Perhaps to cap class 5 would be too much tinkering in one season.

Steve

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ

Lets look at the sevens that this may affect in class 4.

The K R300 at 160 BHP is 30 bhp down but the Duratec R300 are 175 bhp so only 15 bhp down.

If we look at the membership I think there will be more members with 200+ bhp engines that this would affect. The club should be trying to get more people involved without perceived barriers.

If we had a large group of K R300's I would support a complete reworking of the class structures. We do not currently have this problem but can see a point in the future were there are more Duratec 175 BHP the regs will need to be changed to meet the demands of the day.

David

A lot of this discussion seems to be focused on power and gearboxes but as several people have implied whilst there are venues that they will have a big effect (Goodwood, Castle Coombe, Aintree, Shelsey Walsh are the ones that spring to mind) at the majority of the other venues it's going to be driving technique more than power that makes a difference.

Once you get in the 190+bhp region in a Caterham it completly changes the way the car drives and I think tbh whether you have 200 or 280 the difference is probably not as much as the difference between 120 and 160bhp car.

Throw in the radically different power deliveries (torque Duratec vs peaky R500 vs revy Busa) each engine is going to suit different tracks and different driving styles so it's going I suspect it's very hard to split cars at this level into sensible groups.

Having said all of the above restricting Class 5 to H pattern gearboxes seems kind of sensible as I would say in general the sequential box is an advantage everywhere and it's also a significant cost jump to get one. Whether you have a Class 5 and a Class 5b for the sequential boxes I don't really know.

Cheers

Rob