Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch Release Bearing Pre-load

David Mirylees

Hi David,

If I understand your "release area" comment correctly, there's no free movement in the clutch pedal as my mod takes up all the slack in the clutch cable. When you disengage the clutch, the tensioning springs hang loose and have no effect. As you engage the clutch, the springs are gradually brought under tension, and will apply the required 80N-120N pre-load when the clutch is fully engaged and the pedal is at rest. Looking at your pic, could you attach a little right-angled bracket to the inboard edge of the mount that supports the brake-fluid reservoir (where your speedo cable is tied)? If so, you could hook up the springs between this bracket and the pedal clevis pin (to look like this).

If I've misunderstood something, please say.

JV

Quoting anthonym: 
Amusing, thought I might find you in here John. I was going to find a link to your extensive respondes to me in 2009. But nothing like the man himself :-)
😬

Quoting jakeandlizzy: 
Ah, nevermind, here they are
The Photobucket images are low quality. If you want, I could send you the original Word document.

JV

*arrowup*That would certainly work IF the spring rate was high enough. But I think the spring shown in David's pic is there solely to take up slack so that the cable doesn't pop out of the clutch fork down in the bellhousing. Even when attached to the clevis pin, it's unlikely to exert more than 15N -- much too low.

JV

Thank you John - it all becomes clear now :-)

The additional bracket for a couple of springs looks like a perfect solution (and for me the simplest) - just a case of sourcing the ideal springs to get the required tension then.

I appreciate the offer of the Word doc. I'll blatmail you my email address.

Very many thanks!!