Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake fluid?

Pete-B

Start with the furthest from the MC = nearside rear. Bleed it until you see the change in colour in the fluid. Close that one, then offside rear, then the fronts. Keep topping up the fluid in the MC. You don't drain the system, but push the new fluid through to replace the old. If you have Big Brakes on the front, there are two nipples each side.

Yes, unless you get a bleed system with a one-way valve in the tube. Doing it the old fashioned way with two people, close the bleed nipple while the brake pedal is held down. I use air pressure from an Ezi-Bleed system connected to a tyre valve, but don't fill their bottle with brake fluid (after a major spillage one time 😳)

If you are smart you don't need to immerse the drain tube. If you have an assistant you get them to push the pedal and you open and shut the bleed while the pedal is on the way down. Then when you have shut the nipple you tell them "UP!" and they repeat the process. The hose-in-fluid part is only necessary if they push the pedal to the floor and you risk sucking back up if the hose is not immersed.

• Support Team

I use an Eezibleed. Just drop the tyre pressure to about 10psi before using it otherwise it can blow past the cap. I always wrap the master cylinder in a large rag before starting. When you remove the Eezibleed, the master cylinder reservoir will be brim full - I use a large syringe to remove the excess fluid before putting the cap back on.

You can also buy a tube to fit on the bleed nipple which has a 1 way valve on it - I got one from Halfords.