Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day virgin

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Llandow is my first ever track day and I have just received the final instructions so I need some help.

I have FIA bar, fire extinguisher fitted in front of passenger seat ( at 0.8kg smaller than recommended but I didn't know that when I bought it), helmet (Snell SA2000), std K series so no catch tank required, 4 point harneses.

Instructions say that lights need to be taped up - what sort of tape is best and how should it be applied (I've seen pictures with a cross of tape on the lights)? Is it just the head lights or should indicators and rear clusters be taped too?

Anything else I should do?

Are there air lines available or do I need a pressure gauge and foot pump?

Car is an SL running 185/60 13 021R's - suggestions for tyre pressures gratefully received.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool*

Shaun

Gaffer tape or electrical tape, it is common to get a few stones flying around, the reason for taping is to stop glass fallling o nthe track, if you love your car use gaffer tape and cover the whole glass area, no need to do the platic indicators, rear clusters etc.

Again if you love your car (ie you don't like stone chips) apply masking tape the paintwork above, below and to the side of the rear wing protectors

Check your Oil and take some spare along as well, check it at least at lunchtime if not more frequently

Won't be airlines there so take a pump/ gauge, pressures try starting at 21 cold, see how you get on

Do you have an Apollo? if not keep an eye on your Oil Pressure gauge particulaly through the fast last corner on to the front straight

Take some Instruction if available and build up your speed throughout the day, don't be concerned that others maybe going much faster at the beginning, by the end you'll be up with them, but in the meantime keep an eye on your mirror and let them past on the straights

The track has been resurfaced and in one or two areas the old surface extends beyond the edges at a lower level. try to avoid using this 'extra' space as there is a slight possibility of damaging a tyre wall (yours not theirs although if you get it very wrong maybe both!!)

The chicane at the end of the back straight seems very tight if you approach in the 'normal manner' ie entry on the far left of the track for the first RH part, try approaching about 1 to 1.5 metres from the righthandside, I was able to go through without lifting and then braking sharply on the otherside (some balls required *smile* )

The braking area for the 'bus stop' chicane at the end of the front straight is very bumpy.... don't leaveit too late it's easy to get the front wheels skipping along the bumps

Have fun

Mark

• Support Team

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately no Apollo tank yet - planned when I get car serviced early next year - so will have to keep an eye on oil pressure.

Rob,

Thanks for the offer of the footpump/gauge - will look out for the car.

See you there,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool*

Shaun

Good advice from F355GTS.

I will be there and am happy to give you any "hand holding" you need on your first day (I still remember mine....just !)

Green/Yellow car with Club web site sticker on bonnet (and plenty of "patina"). 😬

Ex Chairman Roger

Couple of tips - in addition to above - check your wheelnut torque - I use 55ft lbs, and dont fill your tank to the brim unless you havea no spill overflow system. Ensure you have enough Brake pad before the day starts!

Enjoy and see you there 😬

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . . . . .