Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Genuine enamel Lotus badge

kenny.

Removed from my plus 2 Elan 5 years ago. Its the one with the 2 threaded studs for fitment c/w with nuts. Just on mint. £22 posted. Paypal preferred.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp243/lotusman/IMG_0233.jpg

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp243/lotusman/IMG_0234.jpg

Hi Kenny

Is this the 57/58mm diameter badge...???

When you say near mint... are there any signs of corrosion starting on the outer chrome rim...??

Am in the process of rebuilding a V8GT Esprit (still on the fence as to whether it is one of my bigger mistakes) and collecting bits....

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary.

It is indeed aprox 57mm dia.

There is no corrosion whatsoever,badge is perfect.

My only concern is for your car I think you need the later badge as I can't recall these older classic badges on the V8. I'd hate you to buy the wrong item.

Cheers

Kenny

PS Good luck with the project *thumbup*

Kenny

I have in my hand the good quality fake I bought of the later badge and the lettering/font is similar...

I am scratching about trying to find the corroded original I removed from the rear (doing a round light conversion as per the 2002+ and US cars at the back) and can make a better judgement when I find it.... Colours seem to change over time as well...

Cheers

Gary

The more square or block lettering was used up to about 68-70 I believe.... painted then enamel.

There was a slight change in the later more ornate font in about 93 but it’s very subtle.

Kenny - is the green in your badge metallic/pearl...?? Or is it just the photo...

I need a flat green centre for the later cars

Seems the plastic badges on the Elises and Exiges are slightly different again... I guess lotus has them made in batches and no two are the same..??

I am beginning to sound like one of those guys you hate to get cornered buy in the car park at a meet.... *smile*

• Area Representative

Hi Gary,

I think I may have a brand new, still in it's plastic bag, badge of the type you're after.

I'll see if I can find it after lunch and take some photos if you like....

All the best

Richard

Quoting kenny.: 
Totally depends on the year of the car Terry. Talk to Lotus "buffs" about the black badges and it's amazing the differing views on them *wink*

Yes colours vary but all with plain lettering. (Black badges thought to be either Jim Clark's death .......or they were a bit cheaper than Green/Yellow!)

I am surprised why someone doesn't reproduce a badge with the early plain lettering?

Ah well, seeing as the +2 I had was probably a version of Triggers broom after the thick end of 40 years on the road, maybe the badge was changed for a fresher one at some time in its life..............but it is genuine enamel and it did come off my +2 so there you go.

No chance I'll be sticking the cam cover and SE cams on here now, I do know all about what the groove/s mean on them *smile*

Kenny,

I would like to continue the questions/discussion on the theme of the cam cover.

I'v got a Caterham Twin Cam 1979 and I always thought it had the wrong cam cover. I got it with a sixties cover, with LOTUS written on both the left and right side. BTW, in the beautiful typical LOTUS font and black crackle paint. Also with the three eared oil filler cap.

Which type of cam cover did you find on your Elan?

In the mean time, I changed the cover to the last type with LOTUS BIG VALVE on the front above the chain and adapted to a dry sump system.

Jack Flash

Hi Jack, the car was a 1969 +2 and it had the cam cover with Lotus across the front.........I had it re-crackle finished in red (what a job to get right).

The badge was on the car when I bought it...new owner wanted the black badge I already had so we swapped. It is really mint.

I bought a badge of Ebay prior to this and was very dissapointed with the plasticky quality of it. Nowhere near as heavy and substansial as this one.

Cheers,

Kenny