Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight R Project for someone? Update Engine is fine

BYKer Will

I had a bad day at Cadwell as the crank pulley fell off my 1.9k and probably hasn't done the bottom end a great deal of good. The engine is now out and I am waiting for a date with Mr Andrews to establish the damage and work out the cost to fix it and also consider some wotk to the head and cams to make better use of the 1.9 scholar block.

UPDATE Engine has had a day out in Milton Keynes to meet the Gura himself and all is very fine indeed. No piston valve contact, no crank or bearing damage just a light polish to the shells which Dave says would be OK but he is going to replace them and put it all back together nicely! Thanks Dave you are a star. Not sure now but might keep it unless someone one wants to make serious offers for the car complete or perhaps for the fixed engine and the chassis as 2 bits. Let me know by blatmail.

Anyway though it did occur to me that a superlight r with a broken engine might make a good base for a duratec or bec conversion especially as the chassis has the removable diagonals which is very useful for a bec. Or maybe someone with keen diy engine rebuilding skills might fancy a 230 hp plus 1.9 cheaper than might otherwise be the case?

Now about the car. I will copy and paste all the stuff from spec when I bought it with updates as appropriate. I would stress though it is not a minter polishers car. It has an slr cage and it is realistically more of a track car than a garage queen. I am only talking cosmetics though. The chassis is very good for its ages with very minimal corrosion. It is the paint that is chipped and bruised in areas through use but nothing that a repaint wouldn't fix if you wanted it perfect.

It does though have a lot of carbon including tillets, front and rear wings and dash and does look the part.

Price wise I am seeing very nice slrs at circa 19K

I would say mine without the engine issue as good value at 17k given that £2k would easily cover a repaint and particularly reflecting the value of the slr cage and carbon tillets and the 1.9 scholar engine which with a little upgrade from Mr A should see 230/240hp.

Now I dont know the likely bill for the engine repair yet but would anyone be interested as is at circa £15k?

Finally this was evoduncs old car and had a bit of fame at the nurburgring as here :

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/trackdayvideos/68228/nurburgring_video.html#

Anyway here is the old add:

Limited Run Number 41

1998 “S” Reg

Only 13,600 miles 14,500 now

1900 Scholar K Series

caterham yellow

Carbon Fibre nosecone damaged but comes with new matching yellow gf nose.

all 4 wings and dash carbon

Full SLR Cage.

Clear indicator lenses

5.3/4” Black Headlights

Mick Barnby 13” Wheels (6.5” Fr and 8.5” Rr) with Good slicks or caterham anthracites and toyo 888 if preferred.

Carbon Fibre R500 Aeroscreen and Mirrors

Supagaurd paint treatment by previous owner washed off now.

carbon Kevlar Compo Tillet Seats

6 Point Driver harness – 4 Point Pax with pads

Full bespoke Oxted Trimming Tonneau cover to suit SLR Cage

Interior map net on passenger side

Alloy Caterham 6 spd Gearknob

Alloy Caterham Handbrake Sleeve

Quick Release Momo steering wheel

SPA digital Gauges Very smart Can change background colour!

Digital 201s, Battery Volts, Water Temp and Oil Pressure, Oil Temp.

New Pressure sender and relocating kit up and away from exposed area using a THINK auto kit

New Oil Temperature Sender

Aces Sureshift 2 Shift Lights and Module, fully adjustable with rev recall etc.

Cigarette/Power socket under dash

Fan Overide Switch with Bright Blue LED on dash. Very Neat

Big Red Push Button Start

FIA Cut off Switch + Spare Key.

1900 K series Scholar EVO 2 Block upgrade at 11750 miles.

R500 Cams

Pistal Pistons

Arrow Rods

Gold Pump Dry Sump with Mocal Catch Tank with Level.

Rover KV6 Throttle Bodies

Run on 5W50 Fully Synthetic oil – Just changed at 13579 miles.

Alloy Race Radiator radtec

Red Caterham Silicone Coolant Hoses

Emerald ECU + Lead – Software and USB adaptor

Powervamp PVR25 Battery and box + Charger/conditioner

Clutch and Throttle Stops.

Brise Axial Starter Motor + New Power Cabling. Now has latest brise starter. Much better.

6 Speed Caterham gearbox

LSD

Superlight Wide track front suspension.

Superlight Uprated brakes

Adjustable platforms

Freestyle Adjustable Front ARB

Pagid Brake Pads front and Rear

518kg

230 or so BHP More like 210 but has potential for 230 plus

2 sets of keys for ignition and fuel cap.

Edited by - BYKer WIll on 18 Sep 2011 16:45:17

• Leadership Team

Will, I guess your disaster list is probably currently consisting of bent valves and possibly broken pistons/scored bores? So could be a top end rebuild, could be the whole thing, but only possible to assess when in bits. DVA will probably give you a list of other faults that may have occurred with the loss of the pulley.

If you do decide to repair and are sticking to standard vhpd valves, I have a s/h set that are available if you want them - came with some vhpd followers I bought off Merrick Linnett but I didn't need the valves. But maybe bigger valves are tempting .....

Stu.

Thanks Guys on here and via email.

Should be with Dave soon and then we will see what it needs!

Best wishes

Will

PS In the meantime I am having very expensive thoughts but I would ned to make a caterham size space in the garage so if anyone wants to try me for a quick deal then do blatmail me.