Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle oil leak

mattobrien

Posting on behalf of a new owner and soon to be club member.

The car is a ex racer (possibly academy or whatever predates it) a 1.6 8v vauxhall live axle.

During the last track day I went on said car came along and there was a small oil leak in the inside of the offside rear wheel. It was suspected to be coming from the axle.

The owner has taken it to the garage (I don't know which one) and has emailed me the following;

verdict from garage

someone has spot welded the end of the half-shafts so they think i need a new pair of half-shafts as the existing ones will continue to wear the seals as the spot welds

have damaged the shaft (difficult to explain on email!)

They think I need a pair of half-shafts

Morris marina / Ital rear axles

Any idea where you think I can get a pair ?

I wanted to ask one of the more learned members to sense check this and to also ask if any light can be shone on the solution / where to source necessary parts?

All info, advice and help very gratefully received.

Thanks

Matt

Finding that the bearings have been tack welded onto the shafts is not a new issue! caterham themselves used to put little tacks on the bearing/shaft on the inbound side, to try to prevent the bearing moving on it's taper. I have never known these welds to interfere with the seal before though.

New shafts seems an expensive solution but I suppose anything else is a bit of a bodge (grinding the welds off?).

Try McMillan Motorsport in Hinkley for your shafts. They'll probably have some used ones as all of us Grads racers (with the 1.6 8v vauxhall motor/live axle) have upgraded our half shafts.

Alternatively I once bought a complete Ital axle for £50 off eBay... the diff will probably be the wrong ratio but everything else is a straight swap.

• Area Representative

Matt

Not very familiar with the Ital axle, but it's quite common to spot weld the retainer on a Ford axle and it wouldn't interfere with the oil seal.

If the spot weld is a problem, then I would imagine it can be ground/filed off leaving you with a good as new half shaft.

In my experience (Ford live axles) oil leaks are normally via the bearing, either the oil seal or oil passing between the bearing and the casing. The latter is cured by use of silicon upon assembly and the former by new bearing.

I had a similar problem with my Ital axle Vx 1600. The problem is more than likely to be the inner oil seal which Chris at the 7 workshop replaced for me when I had the whole rear axle overhauled. He also shimmed the half shafts. Brilliant job big recommendation.

The pinion shaft oil seal was replaced but has started leaking again, maybe a job for the winter. *wavey*