Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lost exhaust manifold bolt - crossflow

andy couchman

Car was popping and banging a lot on a drive to west Sussex on Friday. Found out on Saturday that one of the caphead bolts that holds the exhaust manifold on (Ford crossflow) on was missing *eek* and had to rig up a temporary replacement (a metric thread that almost fitted...).

Has anyone else come across this?

If so is the cure a locking washer (have not used washers in the past) or loctite or justv regular checking?

Thanks.

Andy

Best place for spring washers is in the bin, your best option is to drill the heads of the cap heads and lock wire them in place, preferably with proper stainless wire and lockwire pliers making sure you put the sire the correct way to prevent the bolts undoing - job done.

Spring washers don't respond well to heat or vibration resulting in them loosing their tension - result the bolt comes loose, or fracturing where half of the spring washer falls out - result the bolt comes loose.

*wavey*

• Area Representative

Hi Andy, you didn't say which 'ole it escaped from but if it was one of the outer pipes (1 or 4) IME you're better off with studs and brass manifold nuts - saves the threads in the head apart from owt else, also makes mounting the headers a bit easier. The paired centre pipes can only be fitted with socket cap head bolts due to the clearance IIRC. I always use well greased stainless bolts and have never had one come loose. Could be just bad luck, or your head's threads may be a bit tired.

Cruds

Well I never. Done over 30'000 miles in my xflo and it happened to me last night at the end of a 50 mile trip home from Chertsey. Front 2 studs came undone, about 5 turns. Thought I had blown a gasket, had a look and tightened them up this morning. I don't think I will do anything else about it, other than a check when I remember. *smokin*