Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel gauge

Hodsonpe

Just got back from the Dordogne with 7 and almost stayed dry but not quite:-) X-flow very loud through a lot of villages!

My fuel gauge has stopped working.

It never drops below 3/4 even when almost empty, it does go full distance when shorted across suggesting the gauge is ok. So would I be correct in thinking that a new tank unit is required and so boot floor up - or I'd there anything to be repaired on the tank unit?

Ta

Paul.

Maybe you will be lucky, and it is water ingress corroding the connectors on the outside of the tank sender ?

If not, I would take boot floor out and remove the sender from the tank. It is the unit on the top of the tank. Perhaps it is fouling on something and the float arm needs bending a little ?

Suggest you get a new gasket, as the original may well be perished or split.

Smear some blue hermetite on both faces of the gasket when refitting. Available from Halfords in a tube. Don't over-tighten the screws.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 11 Sep 2011 06:50:01

• Area Representative

Quoting Z3MCJez: 
When this happens on race cars, it's usually because the fuel pump has broken and the two pieces no longer work with each other. Have you had a big clunk recently? Pot hole or unseen lump in road?

Jez

I think you mean the sender has broken not the pump.

• Support Team

Sounds like a short to me, whip the boot floor out and check the wiring / connections.

IIRC disconnecting the two wires at the sender and joining them together should give full on the gauge (ign on). Disconnected you get empty. If not look at the wiring. If you do, check the sender / sender connections.