Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Home made half hood

Rocket Man

I had considered the idea, I am sure it will be possible to make quite a saving, but to get it looking professional will need a bit trial and error and better sewing skills than I possess!

I'd definitely like to see photos *smile*

Duncan

• Area Representative

Most of the LADS made their own showercaps way before someone else had the idea.

A half hood is a little trickier. I did see a half hood that someone had made by cutting up an old full hood - it wasn't pretty!

I used an old hood as a basis for my '5 second' roof back in the early 80's, still used today when it's really bad weather and stays rolled up on the rollover bar when not in use over the worst winter months. Looks absolutely fine, no detrimental remarks (yet) and pre-dates the current offerings - must have been a good idea.......

the singer machine is the model 99 table top model. It is in mint condition and i bought it from an antique fair about 10 years ago for £15. the best bargain i have ever managed. i thought it may be better to bring the sides on the top lower as after talking to other guys who have SBFS hoods it was said it needs to be a bit lower at the sides. as for the discussion on who makes the best half hood, SBFS or Oxted my only suggestion is to compare the stitching on you full hood, boot cover, sidescreens and toneau with the SBFS half hood. there is a big difference but you will have to form your own opinion

Just finished making the straps to hold the half hood taught and in place and fixed weather flaps just inside to go against the sidescreens. Just got to take it out for the blat test. Might need a weather seal against the screen as per full hood but will only know when tried in the rain. It is made from PVC but the mohair i find a lot easier to work with