Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Piper Vernier pulley tooth depth

TomB

Does anyone have a new/ nearly new set of Piper Vernier pulleys and they could measure the tooth depth? Im keeping an eye on mine as they have done about 35-40k miles in my 7, and I bought them secondhand a few years ago. The red colour has long worn off leaving the silver alloy. There are no significant grooves on the running surface of the pulleys that I can feel with my finger, but dont want a cam belt to slip!

The teeth are about 3mm deep on my pulleys - is there a wear limit set by Piper?

Cheers! Im thinking I might replace them when I do the cam belt & tensioner over winter - but if they are not considered worn much, I wont. Im 'only' running a standard Supersport cam engine, so not mega cam & spring set up, so I hope they are OK.

Simon, that precisely what Im trying to prevent. Ive heard tale of them wearing faster than standard pulleys. I need to know whats the new depth if to try and gauge how much mine may have worn. If they havnt worn, my pocket money can be spent elsewhere on the car! Stu, please can you measure the tooth depth with some vernier callipers?

• Leadership Team

Can do Tom, and the overall diameter measurement may be more useful also. You know what the result is going to be though ☹️

Maybe for the future consider an offset dowel arrangement using standard pulleys - I'm thinking about swapping to this when my 1800s running again so the verniers can be used on my 1900. I think Dave H was also thinking about going this route due to the chocolate nature of verniers - for a more road-focused 7 using the timing belt cover it may be a better alternative.

Stu.

120.5mm overall dia.

Presumably including the tooth, not taken groove to groove? Hopefully Ill be able to measure with them on the engine.

Groovy man, thanks very much *wavey*. Will check after Tesco *thumbdown*

PS - I think Dave H went off-set dowels.

Been in to the garage this morning with my vernier callipers and measured OD twice at 90o to each other, and the depth at 180o

Inlet: OD 120.3mm & 121.01mm / Tooth depth 2.9mm & 2.84mm

Exhaust: OD 120.8mm & 120.6mm / Tooth depth 2.7mm & 3.1mm

Tooth width, near as dammit 3mm.

As the measurements where taken on the car with belts etc in the way, they might not be perfect, for example the depth measurements were taken at a slight angle due to the rear cam belt cover, and as with Ian's measurements, the caliper extension wouldn't go quite to the bottom, but they are representative. There is still some red in the bottom of the tooth grooves.

Ill repeat the measurements when the belt is off and check the running surface of the teeth for flatness, but for now Im thinking I probably wont need to replace them this winter.

I agree with Peter - the main considerations are likely to be the leading edge and top corner. If these are sloping/rounded, then slippage is more likely to occur.

The cogs may wear more than the belt as the belt has more overall teeth and it's flexibility will protect it. The belts action on the teeth of the cogs will act like sandpaper.

If you have a decent-ish camera, then a close-up shot of the teeth might show the wear. There might be close-ups of new verniers on t'web..

Cheers - Simon