Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Winter/ Snow tyres

virden

can't say I agree, narrower and higher profile is better in Winter tyres - and Mud and Slush tyres are not necessarily Winter tyres. The purpose of the tyre size calc is to identify the narrowest and highest profile tyres that can be used, though I can quite imagine that 195/65 provid e the aesthetics compromise they find they can market. As you say above, big wheel arch gaps offend the eye, despite offering a better Winter tyre experience - not to mention also usually cheaper.

I suspect there is also a consideration about when these tyres are used in non permafrost / snow / Winter tyre conditions and having the best for those conditions is not the best for outside those conditions. In this case something like 195 (so not as narrow as would be great, but just about narrow enough I suppose) and higher profile at 65, again not 70 but close to it and not anything like 45 etc, so again a good compromise.

Depends to what extent, in your circumstances of use and weather, you think reducing the Winter effectiveness is acceptable when compared to the expected less severe Winter use you may endure.

I am of course biased as we have snow and ice and deep freeze for months.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic