Winter/ Snow tyres

virden

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

Rob

They are very expensive comapred to the Nangang ones so not surprised they are good. I have heard that the cheap ones are good as well.

Nick

I think they will be better than a non-winter tyre but in a recent test in Evo the Nangang's were 9th out of the 10 tyres test 😳

I'm a bit fussy about the tyres I use, working on the basis that it's the one thing that keeps you on the road I tend not to skimp on them 😬 whether that's summer or winter tyres. However I suspect this is helped by the fact that I run an old 406 so the wheels are only 15"'s

GJT

I bought the Kumho KW17 I'zen from Camskill.

I've done about 3500 miles totally ragging them and they still have enough tread for another run round Scotland (May 2012)

My next target tyre for winter is the Vredestein Quatrac3. 165/65x13

In afore mentioned EVO test it came out with alow score because it was not so good in snow and ice. However it was teh best in the dry handling. Thsi further supports what I thought before that a hybrid tyre might be better for the 7 than a full winter tyre.

Peter

I bought a couple of new Winter tyres today, from my local co-op, retread or remoulds of course; which I am happy with for local shopping etc given we are pretty much usually 100% on snow.

If I was in GB I'd get Vredestein or Nokian, because that's what I saw everywhere in Scandinavia, piled high waiting for Winter.

don't forget the reason for separate Winter wheels: smaller wheels, narrower tyres, higher as possible profile, within 2.5% of the original. The limiting factor will be what fits round the brakes.

Anthony 7 Seven Degrees

Edited by - anthonym on 10 Oct 2011 16:57:33

I've just ordered some Avon Ice Touring ST tyres to replace my 3 year old Vredestein Wintrac Extremes. Only £69 a corner from Mytyres so good value IMHO. I bought a 2nd hand set of smaller alloys (about £120 i think) for my Honda Civic a couple of years ago specifically to use with winter tyres. I've been using the Vredesteins all summer just to wear them out as they won't last another winter. They still have tread left on them so will leave it until the last minute before swapping over to the new Avons.

For anyone who hasn't tried winter tyres before, then i thoroughly recommend getting some. The difference in grip when it does snow is staggering and the only time i couldn't get the car off the drive was when we had 18" of the white stuff and ground clearence was the problem.

Graeme

I agree, that sounds expensive. This is what will put many off - the thought of shelling out on something they will pnly use for part of the year. (and that the benefits are not clearly understood relative to that cost)

Those of us more accustomed to grubbing about with used stuff...

For my 406. 4 half worn conti winter tyres £41. 4 alloys, £40. Ebay.

For her C200. 4 new Goodyear Ultragrip 7 on new steelies £408 delivered from mytyres.

Interesting comparison of different brands of winter tyres in Evo mag this Month. They threw in a "normal" (summer) tyre as a comparison.

The results are incredible, and do raise the question. Are we safer with everyone or noone on winter tyres, rather than some with and some without?

For the third time in 8 years, I've left the winter tyres on my tin-top all-year (2 different sets on two different tin-tops it has to be said).

In dry summer you notice slightly different cornering characteristics due to the different profile. Unless you drive like a nutter everywhere, then it makes relatively little difference.

In summer wet weather it equally makes relatively little difference.

In colder weather it makes relative sod all difference.

In colder wet weather it makes more difference, slightly better cornering, more predictable, feel safer in general unless you like a very slidy everyday driving experience (nickh7 et al 😬)

In freezing weather you notice even more difference, and in snow you just enjoy yourself *biggrin*

So the fact I fitted tyres that offer improved grip in, say, the situation where I need to stop to avoid a kid on a sledge who shoots out across the road (been there, done that), that allow me not to injure him, and then somebody who couldn't be bothered to fit suitable equipment, who didn't allow sufficient stopping distance on "summer" tyres (like a 1/4 mile) then ploughs into the back of me, is my fault?

Interesting.

Me, personally, I'll fit the equipment that allow me to continue life as normal, allow me the best chance of avoiding problems, kids, other drivers, scenery etc, and do the same for people I care about.

And, nearly as important, cruise smugly past stuck "proper" 4WDs on the wrong tyres - even stop and ask if they need any help . . . 😬

Bri

For me I fitted winter tyres as I got fed up of getting stuck what seemed like a tiny amount of snow in my Pug 406, for a few years it seemed that we would have a sudden snow down pour (not sure if that's the right word) which would catch everyone out. At least with the right tyres on I was able to get up and down some of the hills that were otherwise impassable.

Obviously it doesn't help in some places as you just get stuck behind other cars without the right tyres or just with poor driving.

The added bonus of massively increased grip levels cold heavy rain or slush conditions was an unexpected bonus, it just gave me so much more confidence in the car in those conditions. Not necessarily to drive faster but just more confidence that I could stop sensiblly.

Oh and yes definetly go for narrower taller tyres if possible, I went from 205/60 to 195/65, not a huge difference but I suspect every little helps.

Cheers

Rob

I've just checked with Audi the recommended winter steel wheel from them for my A4 quattro. A 6.5 x 15 wheel with 195/65 tyre, I'm currently using 7.5 x 17 with 235/45. The wheels (from Audi) have cost £36 + vat each, and I'm making my mind up which tyre to put on them. I'll also be fitting 4 185/60/14's to my wife's Polo (unless I can find some suitable steels for her car too).

LesG your 235/45/17 converts to

185.70/15 at minus 0.46% or 3mm less diameter

or even

175/70/15 minus 2.64% or 17mm less diameter

whereas the dealer suggestion (presumably what they have in stock)

195/65/15 minus 1.4% or less 9mm diameter

My suggestion is take the steel wheels, but not the tyres.

Recommendation appears to be plus or minus 2.5% diameter, so the higher profile 70 series are yours to be had and at 185 or even maybe 175 depending how you feel about the numbers above. It appears to me that the 185/70/15 are practically ideal compared to either the 175 0r 195. Me? I'd try the 175 series, depending on how much snow I expected versus cold and wet.

70 series used to also be both cheaper and easier to get.

Be interested to hear what the Audi dealer says about this; assuming they know anything about Winter tyres of course.

All my personal opinions - except the 2.5% which you can see http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

p.s. a little trick I use is to have managed to get mine and my wife's car both on to 15" wheels and so the same size tyres, my mondeo being down from something like 235/18/45 (or something like that) to 185/65/15 and hers down from 195/x/15 to the same, so I have eight tyres to play mix and match with all the same size (and yes, all from co-op because we don't have any extensive high speed Winter use and we do have permafrost and snow pretty much always, so that's not the same in GB) and I know the tyres work just fine, in fact great as far as I am concerned.)

You may well not be able to mix and match the wheels because of stud patterns, unless the audi steels fit her car too, assuming the audi wheels are stronger than her car's required steels.

Well I picked up the steel wheels for the A4 today, resplendent in their satin black finish, they look quite, er, ok lol!

Anthony, I see what you're saying about the tyre size calculator, looks like the 185/70 will be the best rolling size match, shame the wheelarches won't be as well filled!

Peter, I look forward to rediscovering my car's handling characteristics!