Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brighton Speed Trials

Sgt Pepper

Whilst you are all enjoying the sunshine at Wiscombe on Saturday I'll be at the seaside *cool*.

As I've never actually 'done' a standing 1/4 mile before, is there any advice on set-up, technique etc that may be different than sprinting?

Any guesses as to what I might be likely to achieve with a 170bhp Zetec?

Edited by - luddite motorsport on 11 Sep 2011 18:57:55

Have a look through archive for Fastest Caterham in World events. The result table from 2006 has sadly now gone though.

Certainly run an Aeroscreen (or none if they let you).

Decent tyres and a launch like a sprint.

IIRC fastest I got out of a Windscreened 1.4 5 speed was 15.1

Better technique, losing a restrictive exhaust silencer baffle and windscreen brought 14.2. With 170bhp and an LSD you should be low to mid 13's

Find out how they run the Xmas tree *wink*

Edited by - David Lynch on 5 Sep 2011 22:14:33

Chris

Disconnect the rear ARB and if you have adjustable dampers go fully soft at the rear. Then start as you would do for a sprint and keep going, no corners to worry about. If you get it wrong I do not believe you get a yellow bucket & spade if you end up on the beach *eek*, but I could be wrong *tongue*.

Good luck *thumbup*

Hi Chris- from memory i think at Brighton Speed Trials there is a section just before the start line were you can at least spin up your rear tyres to at least get a small amount of heat in them. Also try and see were vehicle before you left the start line as that may be slightly warmer and have more rubber laid down .Don't know which tyres you are using but if you can use tyres with as near to "slick " as possible you'll have more tread surface to grip. Road surface there tends to undulate(if thats the correct wording) as you progress along.

Richard

Yes, you get a wheelspin area just before the start. The start itself is more slippery than a drag track, not least because of the sea salt and the crowned road. You'll probably need fewer revs than you think to get off the line.

Start is the same as sprinting - green light goes on and leave when you're ready (i.e. no drag style Christmas tree).

For reference my best run last year was 13.5 secs and 102mph (crossflow engine, just under 150bhp).

Good luck and try not to beat me by too much *wavey*

Andy (car no 76)

Edited by - andy couchman on 9 Sep 2011 10:36:03

I managed a 1st in class 😬, but only by the skin of my teeth from Andy. We had identical times of 13.56s and identical terminal speeds of 102mph so we had to be separated by 64ft times and mine was 2.27s just 0.06 quicker than Andy.

A good day out but unfortunately spoiled by late afternoon rain ☹️

Good luck and try not to beat me by too much

Couldn't have been much closer *wink*