Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear ARB

Colin Grundy

Like a plonker, I forgot to spec a rear supersport anti roll bar. Consequently I have a car without the holes drilled and tapped to fit one. I understand the correct place for the arb brackets to fit are where the inertia reels seat belts are mounted. I had these deleted as I have fitted 4 points. result no holes!

Is there anyway this can be retro fitted without incurring enormous cost.

Also I see Freestyle advertising ARBs for Caterhams. Will I still need the holes pre drilled and tapped to fit one of these? any advice welcome.

*confused*

The freestyle ARB needs no extra holes drilling, can be fitted easily to a built car and is fully adjustable.

mine squeaks a bit but i think that's because you have to be careflu to get the mounting blocks the right way round so its sits absolutely level. havn't tried it since i changed them round.

HOOPY assistant thread hijacker R706KGU

I took mine off to accomodate 8.5" rims. Better traction without (it is a VX 16V) and I put stiffer springs on the front.

I perfer it for road and track and it is quicker....

Forgot to say I left the U bolts inplace. Didn't drill out the rivets in the little panel to remove it.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 Oct 2002 08:52:05

• Area Representative

Colin

My 1999 Roadsport had the holes pre-drilled. They were covered by black tape. A U bolt needs to be fitted to allow the mounting blocks to be bolted on. The triangular plate needs to be removed by drilling out the rivets this allows you access to fit the U bolt. Rivet the plate back on with a bit of silicone to seal It. I removed my inertia seat belts at the same time.

All the best

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes my chassis is brand new (delivered late July) but reading the assembly guide there should be holes drilled and tapped in the panels that mount underneath the intertia reel seat belt mountings. I have looked and there is certainly no holes and the holes look to be covered with a blanking plate. I assumed that it was because I specified that no seat belts be fitted as I was fitting the four point harnesses.

Youv'e got me thinking now. After the Brands hatch extravaganza I will have a closer look. I'm probably looking in the wrong place.Doh!

• Area Representative

Colin,

you will not find mounting holes in the bottom of the seat belt box.

My car is currently at Caterham being repaired ☹️, and I asked them to make provision for a rear ARB. Simon Lambert told me that the under slung (the assembly guide covers this in the SLR section) ARB is now standard.

You will find the mountings (two vertical sleeves) already welded through the forward end of the chassis tubes that run under the DeDion tube.

Thanks for that Richard, I will check that out. However after looking at Len Unwins (Freestyle) ARBs they look extremely impressive. They are fully adjustable and come at a reasonable price, £185.00 for the rear. I am sorely tempted to go for those. Ive no idea if anyone has fitted these,and comments would be appreciated but I'll bet their a lot cheaper than the Caterhams ones.

*thumbup*

the freestyle one is lighter and adjustable though.

I did have some problems with it squeaking a lot but (as posted on another topic) i think its was becuase i had one of the (not quite symmetrical) mounting blocks the wrong way around.

HOOPY Today I shall be mostly wanting to go for a blat R706KGU