Click here if you are having website access problems ×

You have a 120bhp 1600 SV - You want another 100 horses power. What choices are there?

anthonym

• Area Representative

It depends upon the point from which your friend is starting.

But...

from whatever point they are starting from, the most economical solution is probably to sell and buy a s/h example fitting their requirements.

If they really want 200+bhp, they should be looking at Duratec power (but if they are also in Switzerland, then 200+bhp VX power will be much easier to find)

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 22 Aug 2011 15:33:25

Have to say bike engine 7 are great fun, but when I've been in them I find I miss the torque of a 'real' engine (no insult intended Charlie!)... It's great to be able to drive 'lazy' style. 😬

And torque is needed for that.

I've had my 20 stone mate in a 1.4kss. It still went like stink. I had to give it some stick to keep up with Steve Cragg in his 1.6, especially since he only had his daughter on board and she weighs less than a bag of crisps, or at least did back then. These days she's probably old enough to be going in pubs. 😳

I have to pedal like the proverbial when my brother comes out... He's a big lad. On the other hand, SWMBO is a crisp-packet-weight 😬

Oh and back on topic... Send the block to Oily, or change the engine completely if you don't change the whole car... Will cost the same anyway.

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 22 Aug 2011 22:43:51

• Support Team

220bhp K series is going to be £6k+

You will need:

throttle bodies (with airbox or large filter)

programmable ECU

VVC or MS2 head with extensive porting (VVC needs a blanking kit)

cams (at least BP285, more likely 1444)

Forged pistons

single tang rods (steel rods even better)

decent 4-2-1 exhaust

bearings, gaskets, etc.

bottom end balancing

add to that all the consumables and the labour and a rolling road session

You could convert to Duratec but I suspect that will be north of £10k unless you do the majority of the work yourself (the engine itself would probably be cheaper but it's the conversion and all the ancillaries that add up)

Hayabusa - maybe £15k for the complete engine and conversion?

Zetec or VX wouldn't be a sensible move for a K series as they are much heavier engines.

Unless the car is a "keeper" it would probably be cheaper and better to sell it and buy an R400.