Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow running too cool ?

MonkeyBoy

Hi all,

My Xflow would always run at bang on 90 degrees, no matter if you were mooching around town or on a track day. I've just got it back on the road after a rebuild, no major changes but went from cast to forged pistons, bore from 1700 to 1720, and removed the external oil cooler. I went for a hard blat at the weeked to run the engine in but I found that when driving the temp was between 70-80, when I stopped at the lights for a bit it would creep up just over 80 but when I drove off the temp would fall back to nearer 70-75. I'm a bit worried that it's running too cool but also I'm at a loss as to why this is - any ideas ?

Many thanks

Alistair

First thing is to check that the gauge is reading correctly. Assuming it is, the forged pistons use far more sophisticated rings than the cast and the running friction is greatly reduced which may account for some of it.

Did you by any chance change to 3D ignition? This will also reduce the amount of heat getting into the cooling system because it allows the engine to turn more of the heat generated into kinetic energy.

Edited by - Roger King on 15 Aug 2011 12:20:50