Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicator warning light

wjblundell

To the assembled founts of all knowledge on matters Caterham.

Last year I fitted a buzzer, wired through the dash indicator switch to my 2010 K series 1600 Classic, simple enough job, the central live feed on the switch to one side of the buzzer, the other buzzer wire to earth and it worked perfectly.

Now I thought I would replace the buzzer with a dash mounted warning light by simply disconnecting the two terminals of the buzzer and connecting the light.

This is where the problem started *mad*. When you turn on the ignition before selecting one or other indicator position there is a buzzing sound from the bottom relay in the fuse box and the warning light only glows slightly *confused*. When you select either left or right the light works perfectly and the buzzing stops *smile*. Turn the indicators off and the buzzing starts again.

One other point which has always been like this since day 1, as you turn on the hazard warning switch, the same relay buzzes until the switch is fully engaged and then all indicators work perfectly and no buzzing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is it me or the relay or what

Cheers

Bill

• Area Representative

Bill

My 2000 car already had a warning light for the indicators. did yours not?

Can't really help with electrics, as it's not my speciality, but i can confirm that you can get a bit of buzzing from the relay if you slowly switch on the hazard lights. I think it's caused by dirty contacts in the switch. Try switching on and off a few times.

Edited by - Paul Richards on 4 Aug 2011 18:12:32

Had exactly these symptoms recently which resulted in the indicator relay blowing it's internal (and unrepairable fuse).

As Ian(SM25T) says it turned out to be the hazard warning light switch. I took the switch apart cleaned all the connections within and reassembled it and the problem seems to be cured.

I shall, in the fullness of time, replace the switch with something of a better quality.

Be lucky!!

Martin

Last year I fitted a buzzer, wired through the dash indicator switch to my 2010 K series 1600 Classic, simple enough job, the central live feed on the switch to one side of the buzzer, the other buzzer wire to earth and it worked perfectly.

not sure that can be correct, If you wired live to one side of buzzer and earth to other it would continuously sound , Cant think of anyway of wiring an indicator warning that doesn't involve 3 wires. Maybe I am being thick though 😬

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 6 Aug 2011 09:39:24

Hmm, some people say they have wired a buzzer to the central 'wiper' of the indicator switch (other side to ground), but as that is usually a +12v feed (via the hazard circuitry) I'm not convinced.

Normal practice is to take a diode (say a 1N4001 from Maplins) from each of the L and R terminals of the indicator switch (white band of the diode away from the terminals), and then join the two spare ends of the diodes together, and to the +ve side of a 12v buzzer (or lamp, or both). Negative side of buzzer/lamp to chassis earth.

The diode rating may need to be increased if you use a high power filiameent lamp rather thna a 12v LED.

That will work, and won't interfere with the operation of the Hazards *wink*

However faulty hazard switches are another caterham TADTS item *rolleyes* and can cause some strange effects.

Edited by - Ian B on 6 Aug 2011 12:24:07

Ian *thumbup* yep that would do it, I'm with you though can't see how it would work from wiper to buzzer, unless of course the switches are 4 pole double throw with centre off, pin 7 and 10 (or equivalent) linked and then taken to buzzer (still technicaly 3 wire)

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 6 Aug 2011 13:02:12

Edited by - tbird on 6 Aug 2011 13:18:53

Quoting Ian B: 
Hmm, some people say they have wired a buzzer to the central 'wiper' of the indicator switch (other side to ground), but as that is usually a +12v feed (via the hazard circuitry) I'm not convinced.

This is how I rigged my buzzer in. And it works well, no fear of ever leaving the indicators on again as its a touch loud. In time it will be taken off - whilst I realise that I should remember to switch the indicators off, I sometimes forget 😳

Mike