Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

rear brakes

jackb_ms

Hi

I was checking my rear brakes at the weekend.

The driver side is not working, i.e I can turn the wheel by hand, the near side one is better but not 100%. There is plenty of meat left on the pad. The little lever which is connected to the cable moves when the handbrake leaver is used.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue? Is there a guide on how to clean/ reapir the calipers?

Cheer

Jack

Assume you mean they don't work when the handbrake is applied ?

How many clicks on the handbrake lever when you pull it up ?

The cable can be adjusted (under the car if it is a central tunnel top handbrake).

Maybe you need to remove the pads and screw the self-adjuster piston back in fully (with a proper tool for this), then refit the pads and press the brake pedal hard several times to actuate the self-adjuster (DON'T pull on the handbrake until after this self-adjusting).

Handbrake tensioner.

Handbrake off. Hand in near diff to the plastic nut. Adjust nut as tight as you can.

Then, fingers clear, handbrake on as tight as possible.

As you take handbrake off, pull cable backwards hard. Slack will appear between nut and bracket. Do up nut.

Handbrake will become stiffer, pedal will become firmer and imbalance will be reduced.

Jack - no it isn't - stop guessing and try adjusting it up.

The handbrake pulls the cable, which pulls the arm, which activates the pistons. If the brakes work when the car is rolling - then the handbrake will work unless it is poorly adjusted.

OR

One side of the cable has seized

One side has a seized actuator arm

one side has a seized piston

one side has seized sliding mechanism (assuming single piston setup) as most 7ns have

Does the foot brake work on the side the handbrake does not?

Does the wheel spin relatively freely if jacked up and spun by hand - accounting for drag of transmission