Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty OPG question

Domus

Standard OPG reading nil, new gauge ready for fitting. How do I test the wiring?

Do I have my meter on Volts or resistance? What readings should I get with ignition on and engine running?

Much better with nuts and bolts, electrickery is a bit like Black Magic to me. *confused*

Sigma 150

Just thought I'd ask...is it definitely the gauge? Senders are known culprits too.

Shame you already have the new gauge as after having two failures I decided it was time to switch to a mechanical OPG and would always recommend the same to anyone.

Must say I feel exactly the same about electrickery!

Cheers

David

It was reading nil, switched off, pulled the gauge through the dash to check the plug connection was OK, switched on, little flicker then smoke from the gauge. Switched off (very quickly) removed gauge. Engine started - no smoke from wires.

New gauge fitted, no difference. Removed the sender unit- what a faff *eek*.

It is a Danfoss unit, we used Danfoss stuff on air compresssors back in the day when I worked, and they always seemed reliable. The one now showing on the Caterham website is a Caerbont unit. I will let you know what happens. Should make it to Woodvale *thumbup*

Quoting Domus: 
Car only been on the road since November.

Just goes to show how hopeless the electrical senders and gauges can be. I appreciate that there are probably people on here who have been driving Sevens for years and years without problems but re your warranty, perhaps you could ask for a contribution to cost of a Mech set up rather than a replacement?

Cheers

David

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 1 Aug 2011 12:48:55

• Area Representative

Domus

For the benefit of others reading this post, I think it's worth mentioning that your car is a Sigma engined car and as such the oil pressure sender is nothing like a K series. It is in a less vulnerable location and is a totally different type of sender with 3 connection wires. It's similar to this

I'd like to think that it is better quality than the K series senders which are susceptible to water ingress.

New sender unit arrived today, will fit tomorrow. It is a Danfoss unit - MBS1350. A quick Google shows that it is a "Robust and reliable unit" It also shows it operates as a sender AND a switch. So why don't Caterham put in a low pressure light when the switch is already fitted?

Quoting Domus: 
....., little flicker then smoke from the gauge. Switched off (very quickly) removed gauge.
Did you establish what caused the smoke ? If it was from the gauge itself then I would be wary of putting it back in the car, as a general rule components which have released some or all of tehir magic smoke don't tend to be too reliable afterwards.

If it just that you shorted a connection to ground then the gauge should be ok - if that was the case you were lucky not to blow a fuse bt probably no permanent damage anywhere (assuning the fuse is correctly rated and would blow before the insulation on the wiring melted).

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, during a short blat yesterday I noticed the OPG now reads max pressure all the time. *eek* Gauge connections sound, sender unit connections sound. Disconnected sender unit and gauge behaves normally ie ignition on, needle flicks up to zero. Perhaps it is time to go mechanical.

"Oh bother " I said *mad*

Quoting Domus: 
New sender unit arrived today, will fit tomorrow. It is a Danfoss unit - MBS1350. A quick Google shows that it is a "Robust and reliable unit" It also shows it operates as a sender AND a switch. So why don't Caterham put in a low pressure light when the switch is already fitted?

Anyone done this mod?