Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Older Caterham front shocks

Crumpynut

Any recommendation on what to replace front shocks with on an older style Caterham, lower wishbone but cast top arm with roll bar bolted through a rubber bush.

currently have Spax M74. Should I replace with same or is there something better. Was told springs had been dne just before I bought the car 10 years, 25,000 miles ago are these likely to need doing as well?

Where is best to get them from, fairly urgent as one is totally shot. red line is my usual place but open to suggestions.

Thanks

My car had Spax adjustable which were fine on road and track so at low cost you can simply replace with new. Adjustables are best and early cars need the front dampers set harder than the rears.

I uprated to AVO alloy bodied shocks (from Freestyle Motorsport with springs) which are a mid price option but work very well and are an improvement on the Spax, they are much more compliant. If you are changing spec it would be better to the front and the back. The AVOs needed a minor easy mod (filing) to gain clearance from the bottom wishbone.

Springs dont really wear out. It would be useful to find out if you have the early soft springs or uprated ones as the later cars have (60 to 80% stiffer). If you have the early soft springs these are fine and a few more clicks on the dampers helps control everything. The stiffer springs give a more modern feel but nothing wrong with the older set up and with dampers stiffened they work well.