Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fog light problem

MonkeyBoy

Hi all,

My fog lights have stopped working on my '95 xflow. I've checked the switch and it's broken so i'll order a new one, but when i tried to manually 'switch' the lights on with a piece of wire across the switch terminal they still didn't come on, checked bulbs and they're fine. Checked voltage at the bulbs and it's only 9v. I used one of the other switches just to check but still only got 9v (which isn't enough to light the bulb). Any ideas ??

Many thanks

Alistair

Yep, headlights on dipped beam.

Just checked with an earth running directly to the battery and get the same at the bulb (10.4v today!) as when using the bulb earth.

Funnily enough, when i first turned the power on today and switched the fog lights on they actually came on for about 4 secs then went off, haven't been able to re-create yet, and still getting a low voltage. Very strange!

I also tried with the engine running just in case but no difference

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Alistair

Ok if you use the same wire that you used to run to battery earth as a new live feed, careful not to short it to earth, if you have an inline fuse around you could wire a 5amp fuse in just for safety (thats what a prudent elf and safety person would do, )

take live feed directly from battery to bulb, does it work.

if fed via a relay maybe you have a dodgy/dirty relay contact, or a corroded fuse contact, you should be able to use your new live wire to work back up the system, multimeter to check for high resistance accross fuse terminals and with side fog lamps turned on check voltage either side of relay, you may even be able to swap relays, not sure which on your car are swappable.

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 26 Jul 2011 19:20:33

Edited by - tbird on 26 Jul 2011 19:42:13

Thanks for the help, got it sorted, it was a number of duff contacts - earths in particular. Thanks also for a good general methodology, just used the same to fix a problem with rear number plate lights not working on my Mk2 Golf GTi *biggrin*

Cheers

Alistair

• 7 months later...