Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine Upgrade

Dannyboy

Guys.. and Ladies of course..

Over the winter am thinking of upgrading my Standard 1.4k series.. However, I can obtain a standard 1.6k series for nothing. What additional ancillaries, engine mounts would I require to upgrade to the 1.6??

Is this possible, or will I basically have to junk everything, exhaust, starter, gearbox, ecu etc etc???

Is just a thought, and If it's not that big a job may release a few horses and give me far more scope for later upgrades..

Any help would be fab!!

Dannyboy

*tongue* he's a cheesy geezer *tongue*

To some extent it depends on the vintage of your 1.4 and of the 1.6. I'm assuming that the 1.6 is pre-EU3.

You can reuse your existing exhaust, alternator, starter motor & engine mounts. You'll need the ECU (and matching immobiliser unit) to go with the 1.6, and possibly the engine loom (or at least some tweaks to the old one). You'll need the induction system & injectors to match the 1.6 - if your 1.4 is a recent one with a plastic manifold then it'll probably do, although the injectors probably won't. You'll need to transfer the clutch from the 1.4 to the 1.6 (I believe it will swap over OK), but will (again unless your 1.4 is very recent) need the flywheel from the 1.6. Other items for attention are the spigot bearing in the end of the crank (Caterham ream the hole in the end of the crank to take a press-in sleeve for the Ford-compatible spigot bearing - they can do this for you if you take the engine to them) and some meat needs grinding away from the block to make the starter motor fit. You will need to transfer the cast ali sump from the 1.4 to the 1.6.

Mike