Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Banner Battery model is 053 034 and Tudor Bike alternative is Y60-N24L-A

anthonym

This post is for me to look up in future because I can never remember the code.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/53034-Banner-Caterham-Battery-P8369.html

Voltage: 12 Volts

Capacity: 30 Ah

CCA: 300 A

Length: 187 mm

Width: 128 mm

Height: 165 mm

Cust. Rating:

Caterham Starter Battery

Battery Dimensions

187mm x 128mm x 165mm (LxWxH)

Battery Power Ratings

30Ah

300CCA

CHECK IF: This battery is filled and charged ready for use

The Tudor I found worked ok for some years as an alternative is/was:

TUDOR Bike Code Y60-N24L-A 12V28AH

Both the above I Fitted to S3 R500K

CHECK IF: This battery is filled and charged ready for use

other manufacturers' suitable batteries codes would be very helpful to know as on tour makes like Exide and the one beginning with V abound.

Anthony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery

http://batteryuniversity.com/

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Sep 2011 09:08:59

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Sep 2011 09:10:42

• 1 month later...

http://www.batterymasters.co.uk/Product-Ultramax-NP20-12,-12V-20Ah-For-UPS,-Jump-Starter,-Golf-Caddies-etc_1382.aspx

SLAUMXNP20-12 Our Price: £ 29.40

Average Rating:

Ultramax NP20-12, 12v 20Ah Sealed Lead-Acid High Capacity Battery for use with Emergency Lighting, General Electronics, Medical, Mobility, Security, Uninterruptible Power Supply. Dimensions: L(mm) W(mm) H(mm) 181 76 167. Can be used to replace Yuasa NP17-12, NP18-12B, Power-Sonic PS12180 with high Capacity.

my notes

L(mm) W(mm) H(mm) 181 76 167.

Length: BANNER 187 mm ABOVE 181

Width: BANNER 128 mm ABOVE 76= 60% Of width of Banner shame it's not 50%, could fit two.

Height: BANNER 165 mm ABOVE 167

Edited by - anthonym on 7 Sep 2011 20:15:42

Edited by - anthonym on 7 Sep 2011 20:18:59

Not sure that Battery Master one will work in a car. OK, it might get you home but that's not what it's for. I think it's more of a deep cycle battery (leisure type) Car batteries are designed to deliver massive current for short periods of time (starting) but never to be regularly cycled to flat and recharged. Leisure types are different - things like invalid cars, UPS, boats/caravans apply light loads but for longer periods and expect to be run flat and recharged. The design is different. I suspect that if you ask a leisure battery to start engines it won't last very long. I'd be checking the spec.

Quoting anthonym: 
sorry, I should have said I had swiped the link from the other thread.

No probs Anthony. Sorry for the hijacking your thread *smile*

For your info the Battery masters one weighs 5.95kg which is lighter than the Varley red top (6.1kg)

I never thought to google the code:

http://www.accu-24.de/de/GEL-Batterien/Motorradbatterien-/-Rollerbatterien/http-wwwaccu-24de-de-Motorrad-Batterien-GEL-MOTORRAD-ROLLER-BATTERIEN-GEL-53034

Product Description

Fits 53030, C60-N30-A-30-BS SLA12

Motorcycle Battery Gel 12 Volt Battery Types

12V 30 Ah

Dimensions: L x W x H = 187 x 130 x 170 mm

Drawing / Pole: + -

Design:

Starter battery - maintenance free, gel technology - completely closed.

Condition:

filled and charged

Accessories:

Screw terminal

http://www.accu-batteries.at/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=412&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

12V 30AH

AEN in A: 380

Dimensions in mm LxWxH 177 x 130 x 170

Weight in kg: 9.3

POL: + -

Here's a clue "530 power on 34" not sure what it means though.

AND there seem to be other codes presented as also suitable:

Product Description

Fits 53030, C60-N30-A-30-BS SLA12

andSLA12

If I read this correctly the following is a list of ALL similar batteries and their codes:

GEL 53034

C60-N30-A

C60-N30L-A

SLA12-30-BS

6IF130

Y60-N24L-A

Y60-N24AL-B

525 015 022

Varta 530 030 030

YB60-N24L-A

in fact here translated from german:

Specifications:

System: Pb

Voltage: 12 volts

Capacity: 30'000mAh

Dimensions: L x W x H: 187 x 130 x 170 mm

Weight: 8.3 kg

Identical types of batteries:

53 030

GEL 53 034

C60-N30-A

C60-N30L-A

SLA12-30-BS

52 515

6IF130

524 086

Y60-N24L-A _____________this is the Tudor in my OP.

Y60-B N24AL

525 015 022

Varta 530 030 030

YB60-N24L-A

Oddly the Banner 53034 is not on the above list:

53034 this is a standard Banner Dimensions: L x W x H: 187 x 130 x 170 mm

am I looking at the wrong code or just one very similar.. more tea I think.

Gtraet, the one mentioned as the bb" killer" :

Ultramax NP20-12, 12v 20Ah (L(mm) W(mm) H(mm) 181 76 167)

that code is not on the list

There's a manufacturer's shipping code on almost every automobile battery. Since the life you'll get from the battery is dependent on when it was made, not necessarily when it was put into service, you'll want to check this code so you can be sure the battery you buy is relatively "fresh" and hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. The shipping code usually appears on a sticker on the battery or a stamp burned into the battery case itself.

The code is a string of letters numbers, but all the real information you need is in the first two characters. Usually, the code starts with a letter that corresponds with the month--'A' for January through 'L' for December (some manufacturer's codes omit 'I'; for them, 'M' indicates December). The second character of the code is a numeral that stands for the year. Thus, a code starting 'A2' indicates that the battery was shipped in January 1992; 'B2' indicates February 1992, and so on. (Delco reverses the letter and the number; a Delco code starting with '2C' indicates the battery was shipped in March 1992.)

so must find the codes for this millenium.

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Sep 2011 09:08:31

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Sep 2011 09:14:59

I've given up with this for now.

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Sep 2011 09:28:43

They will be the same for this millenium, manufacturers know that the things don't last 10 years so 1 digit is enough. We do something similar in food, with a Julian date code. I have one such here, a jar of olives coded "Lot 1210" which will mean "day 210 of year 1". Day 1 is 1 Jan, 2 is 2nd Jan, etc, through to 365 on Dec 31. So without access to a calendar, 210 is about July sometime. We only use one year code as clearly you aren't going to mistake 10 year old olives for fresh ones.

The thing with batteries is that any car or bike battery will work if you get the size, capacity and terminal pattern right. Some of your equivalents here are not real equivalents, they only have 20Ah. Now that will get you home and run you about for a while but it's a smaller capacity battery and one day when it's cold and the thing doesn't want to start immediately you may struggle. If you are accepting that degree of compromise then ANY car battery you can cram in the tray and connect up will do the job when you find yourself with a dead battery 100 miles from home in a town with a car spares shop. If it's 35 Ah, 25 Ah, if you have to pack it out with a bit of wood, blimey if push comes to shove and you have to fit new battery connectors to make it work then you will.

If you are accepting that degree of compromise then ANY car battery you can cram in the tray and connect up will do the job when you find yourself with a dead battery 100 miles from home in a town with a car spares shop. If it's 35 Ah, 25 Ah, if you have to pack it out with a bit of wood, blimey if push comes to shove and you have to fit new battery connectors to make it work then you will.

this was indeed my agenda on each occasion: anything that will fit.

I also carry terminal changers - round to square. btdt.

more like 1,000 miles from home though. 100 Miles is usually a trailer job. Those batteries for 29 quid (that other thread) , could buy one every year and still be better off than a new banner at swiss prices. of course a swiss banner that works would also be a bonus. (SM25 refers)

I carry a booster battery and an ordinary battery that I can use if the Mondeo gives up. Also I just like having to much battery backup. I have found that in my experience when all battery power is gone one is truly helpless, and since I tour alone I am a bit more sensitive than most to this perhaps - trying to push start the 7 alone on an unmade up road with 300 metres left to the cliffs (also 300 metres high) being attacked by millions of mosquitoes as my gps battery my phone battery are dying.. left me a bit dented. I even carry the very heavy booster with me in the 7, but in the absence of recent problems I am wondering about maybe carrying something smaller that could replace the banner on demand - if I could recharge it while driving so much the better.

Also has occurred to me that getting acid is much easier than the battery itself, and the weight difference is huge. One can tell immediately just by picking it up. So carrying an empty lead acid battery that fits (even a banner) is another possibility. No shelf life as far as I know, until the acid goes in. Acid can be had from all sorts of bike, lawnmower, garage, golf cart places (golf club on a sunday?) - and the result is an instantly fully charged battery.

incidentally I meant I had given up with the whole thread idea, as it was doing my head in. However, have now had a cuppa and feel recharged :-)

after sm25's experience (and 100 miles of fuel) I have added a hydrometer to my mobile kit, because we always blame the battery and so often it's not - click of death etc. especially when the battery is not very old.

finding a car battery that fits is much more difficult than I would ever have expected - though I speak of rural parts outside GB.

My get out of jail free card is a cheap and scruffy pair of jump leads that have saved the day many times. I paid £1 for them 20 years ago. Honestly. They live in the emergency repair bag, or you can stuff them down the seat. Even with a terminally buggered battery they will get you going. You just need to chat up a passer-by, not hard with a car as distinctive as a 7 even in the middle of nowhere. Alternatively if you tour a lot, and a replacement is EU30, why not just buy one every 2 years? Keep the old one on a charger till you know the replacement is good, (by no means a given with a Banner) and the chances of it failing are close to zero.

The breakdown services report that 90-odd % of breakdown callouts are for either punctures or dead batts. If you can fix or avoid these then it has to be a biggy to stop you in your tracks.

where I was there weren't any passing cars, I was rescued by two Portuguese ladies who came to find me after I called and begged. Very very good of them really.

Having said all of this, I am the first culprit in having blamed my battery and then it turns out to be something else.

• 12 years later...