Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CSR front wings-mounting method ?

ECR

I refer to the bolted joint at the front inside edge.

I have mounted mine thus, Bolt with large penny washer passed from the inside face of the wing so that the head of the bolt is next to the tyre and the penny washer is clampng the fibreglass. The nut is then assembled inside the tube boss on the outside face of the wing.

The wing itself is a resin transfer moulding not wet lay (smooth face both sides) and is not reinforced in the mounting area in any way.

Are yours mounted thus or are there any differences ?

Not sure I can quite picture " is then assembled inside the tube boss on the outside face of the wing" have you got a pic, Mine sounds similar except that the bolt head, which is an allen head, is on outside of inside face of wing , sorry don't have good pic and no access to car at the moment

Tim

I've just been out to the garage to have a look at mine Roger, and the mounting area is definitely strengthened, I would say the layup is double that of the normal wing, and as Martin says, there is a large flat area on the stay to spread the load. My CC wings have been on for 6 years and 15,000 miles and are not showing any signs of stress or star cracking, so if yours aren't strengthened you may want to think about another layer of mat in that area.

Thanks for that guys. The reason for asking is that my CSR wings have both cracked after 1 1/2 trackdays. The offside one sheared completely at the bolt interface at the Ring last weekend. The wingstays are not Caterham stays (Freestyle) and do not have the triangular spreader plate. I guess I need to braze a plate on to prevent it happening again. As far as I can see from the photo, there are no fixings through the plate on the Caterham version, is that right ??

The wings themselves are Caterham parts and are definitely not reinforced in that area. The section is unchanged......

The only fixing is the nut and bolt. Odd that your wings don't have a strengthened area, maybe they found it wasn't needed, mine are very early ones after all, but judging by your experience, it sounds as if they need a bit of reinforcing. Lay on a bit of mat anyway, just to be safe *smile*

Slight Hijack,

Paul have you the allen bolt type fixing and is the nut on the back free or captive, I ask because mine appear to be seized but have not tried a spanner on the nut yet, Don't need to get them off but don't like have seized nuts *eek* best to free things up before the emergency 😬

Tim

Hi Tim, Mine are allen headed bolts with normal nylock nuts on them. If you can't budge them and have rounded the nut or bolt head, it's easy enough to get a saw blade or grinder on the nut side. It's probably salt damage, that, and no copperslip on assembly. *eek*

Cheers for that, and no I haven't rounded anything, yet 😬 but the Allen head will If I lean on it any more, I will try and crack it with a socket on the nut, you are probably correct about copper slip, but twas not me wot built it guv, I am working through nuts and bolts removing and copper slipping, or replacing and copper slipping bit by bit, just hadn't got around to having a good look inside wings so thought I'd ask a man who knew

Tim

Having looked again at the Caterham CSR wingstay photo on their site, I'm having difficulty envisaging exactly how it fits. Does the spreader plate on the front bolt fixing fit on the outside or the inside of the wing (is it easily visible when the car is on its wheels ?) A photo would help ...

Thanks

Roger, my latest set of wings are the newer type ande there is a slightly thicker reinforced area across the front mounting, where the white label is fixed under, my stays are DIY but I have a 25mm dia washer inside and similar on outer with a rubber washer, no probs over a few year just usual stone damage.

Hi Roger,

The spreader plate is on the inside of the wing , so hidded it has a threaded bush in its centre and the wing is then clamped to this face with a 2" penny washer and 10mm bolt plus spring lock washer.

Good to meet up and see you guys, we had a cracking time at spa.

Rob

I'll have to make up some loose spreader plates as the Freestyle design doesn't lend itself to modification to the Caterham system. I'll also thicken up the wing in that area with a few layers of carbon.

Thanks for the help.

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

I've just received 2 new CSR wings from Caterham. These are not Resin Transfer Moulded (a smooth surface on both sides) as were the first set, but look to be hand layup. The front mounting area has been reinforced with a couple of substantial layers of glass matting with the result that the wings are a LOT stronger in that area. So, there has been a change at some point. Talking to other owners it appears that the early wings were reinforced hand lay up and the current ones that I have just received are also like this. The RTM wings seem to have been supplied for a perion but for some reason (strength/price ?) are not currently supplied.