Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starting up problem - Is it my immobilser or something else?

glasgow

Over the last 2 days my K series is having some starting problem.... ☹️

I have the car now for one year and never had any starting problem..... Two weeks ago, she has a service and new thermostate was installed...... A few days ago I fitted Starcom, third brake light and a day time running light.... I took the power for them directly from the battery (didn't completely remove the battery cables but of course the connections had to be loosen during the installation). I didn't disable the immobilser during the installation. After finishing the work, the immobilser acted funny for 10 minutes, i pressed on both bottons of its remote control for 3 times and it "seemed" to be working fine ...

Now over the last couple of days I have starting problem: the engine cuts off after 1-3 seconds of ignition. I need to repeate switching on for about 3-4 times.... The engine sound is more or less like if you try to switch on while immobiliser the still on....

I am not sure if the following two observations are of importance:

A. during the installation, I had a couple of accidental +ve/-ve touchs with sparks and needed to replase the fuse for the starcom and the day time running light...

B. over the last 2 days i noticed the fan starts at 75 (usually above 80 degrees)..

Getting Worried as I should be starting my trip to france tomorrow night? Would appreciate your views please.....

Thank you

Ahmed

edited for typo

Edited by - glasgow on 21 Jul 2011 13:36:44

Tim.

--- My Immobiliser LED usually start flashing about 5 minutes after switching off the engine

when you arm the immobiliser does the petrol pump run for the normal 4-5 seconds before you start engine

Sorry for my English, but not sure what you mean by "arm" the immobilser? also not sure how to know if the petrol pump is running?!?! *confused*

sorry (not you, me) *redface* when you press the button on the immobiliser fob this (i should have said) disarms the immobiliser, so you can start the car, on my car one of the things that the immobiliser turns of is the petrol pump, so if turn on the ignition with the car immobilised there is total silence, when I turn on the ignition with the immobiliser disarmed the first thing that happens is a buzzing noise from the petrol pump, I wait about until this stops then start the engine, of course this relies on it being an electric pump,

The reason I asked about the LED was if, after the 1-3 seconds when your engine stops, the LED came on immediately it would suggest that the immobiliser was re arming itself for some reason

hope thats clearer 😬

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 21 Jul 2011 14:24:49

When you turn on the ignition you should hear the fuel pump at the back of the car run for a few seconds. If it doesn't then it could be that the immobiliser is on so that is the first check. Press the button to switch off the immobilser 5 times (I think) then press the other one to de-activate it and try switching on the ignition again. Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Next look at the inertia cut off switch in case this has been disturbed (under the bonnet on the bulkhead, next to the heater, in front of the passenger) - press in the rubber bit on top to reset it.

If it isn't these then I'd start checking the fuses, not sure which one the fuel pump is on.

yes, when i switch on after disarming the immobiliser, I can listen to the buzzing noise of petrol pump going on for about 5 seconds.....

OK, I never needed to wait for a few seconds before starting the engine untill the buz stops, but today, i took Tim's advice and waited for a few seconds before starting the engine and seems working fine (tried it twice this afternoon, need to wait and see what would happen tomorrow morning)....

Realisticaly I am not sure the wait is strictly necessary, its just something I have always done 😬 hope its as simple as that *thumbup*

when you fitted the high level brake light did take the feed from offside or near side brake light, did you have boot floor out or anything like that, do you remember if you noticed any wires around the petrol tank area you could have disturbed, just wondering if the feed to the pump could be loose and making a dodgy connection, anyway lets hope all is ok tomorrow and enjoy your trip,

where are you ferrying from

Tim

Tim,

Took feed from offside brake light, needed to move the boot floor. couldnt think of any loose petrol connection HOWEVER, I could remeber I smelt petrol while working (just smell but no actual leak..) but thought it is because of the petrol cap and "they all do that Sir" 😬

Heading to Dover tomorrow night, DFDS Seaways ferry Sat 8am

Think you are correct about smell of fuel, I am sure all will be well tomorrow, have a great Holiday, drive carefully and enjoy ,

if you doing Glasgow Dover in one hack tomorrow go to bed man get some rest 😬

Tim