Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Those daytime running lights...

JetSepter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little late to the party...I have mounted two full-time running lights (Hella Optilux 1500 with halogen bulbs) where my direction signals would normally go. The CC turn signal pod was used as a pattern for cutting replacement carbon-fiber light pods to fit the Hellas.

The turn signals were placed lower, on either side of the nosecone, with motorcycle stalk-type LED signals in c/f housings. They are supplemented with two turn-signal side lamps on my c/f headlamp housings (Fiat Barchetta (?) items).

The work was done by Nathan Down of Boulder, Colorado USA, whom some of you may know as a former CC engineer.

I don't have a photo-hosting site, so if I can ask some kind soul (gileshudson??) to receive and post a couple of photos, I can show POBC how my ideas turned out....

Alaskossie

Tom - You already have one pic online at USA7s that shows what you did quite nicely in a good humored way! I love this pic! *tongue*

http://www.usa7s.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3362&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1312785048

Edited by - Croc on 9 Aug 2011 23:18:07

Yes, electrical power. You can warm your hands quite nicely in the garage by the heat from the headlamps... and that power has got to come from somewhere... the alternator doing more work...which means ultimately the engine.

I fitted HIDs to my Range Rover several years ago and so amused to lower power consumption of headlights.

This point I always find difficult to understand..... When the engine is running, the alternator built will be runnig and feeding the alternator no matter the head light/heater are on or off i.e. the alternator is working irrespective of the light/heater are on or off.... The alternator just transfer the mechanical energy from the built to electrical energy. And even with the assumption the alternator needs to do more work when the lights/heater are on, how come this extra work is taken from the engine/petrol despite no changes in the rpm.....

Well, I am sure I am missing something here.... Excuse my ignorance.... *confused*

"The alternator just transfer the mechanical energy from the built to electrical energy. And even with the assumption the alternator needs to do more work when the lights/heater are on, how come this extra work is taken from the engine/petrol despite no changes in the rpm....."

You're right... the alternator has to work harder to deliver more electrical power... if it's at constant RPM then the mechanical load back through the belt is higher, and the engine burns more petrol to deliver that extra torque to turn the pulley.

But I have no idea how much power it takes to spin an unloaded alternator and belt and pulley(s) compared to the electrical power it can generate when loaded... does anyone know?

Jonathan

Glasgow *wavey*

Basicaly you get nowt for nowt in this world,

Torque is required to turn the Alternator, this torque is provided by the engine via the belt, a disconected Alternator will turn freely as no current is flowing, (dont spin a disconnected alternator BTW its reputed to damage diodes). As more current is required from the alternator more current flows through one of the windings in the alternator, this cause an increases in one of the Magnetic fields in the Alternator, proportionate to current required, making it harder to turn the rotor (which is also a magnet). a bit like when you push two magnets together, pole to pole, it gets harder and harder the closer they get. Obviously as it becomes harder to turn, more of the engine torque is required for the alternator, therefore more power is required to keep engine revs constant, therefore more energy required by engine, so more fuel

Thats not the best explanation in the world but its late 😬

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 16 Aug 2011 23:26:54