Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bedding in pads

Jaseb

Ok, I'm sure this has been done to death but what's the best way of bedding in brake pads?! I don't think I've got the search thingy sussed so if anyone can point meto an old thread I'd be grateful *thumbup*

I've got greenstuff and they were glazed after a very short time and am wondering - is it me? or am I doing it wrong? The pads are now deglazed and I can't be ar$ed to change them again just yet 😬 anyone got any ideas 🤔

Jase,

Without sounding too thick what are the symptoms of glazed pads?

I fitted Green Stuff pads a while ago and spent some time bedding them in but they have never really seemed to provide the imrovement I was hoping for, particulary solving the problem of rears locking prematurely.

How did you go about de-glazing them?

SPW *cool*

Jase,

Without sounding too thick what are the symptoms of glazed pads?

I fitted Green Stuff pads a while ago and spent some time bedding them in but they have never really seemed to provide the imrovement I was hoping for, particulary solving the problem of rears locking prematurely.

How did you go about de-glazing them?

SPW *cool*

I fitted Pagid race pads to the rears (standard caliper). They were very effective on the road test (locking up the rears as the front are always more or less cold).

The gave better braking balance on the track. They 'came on' much quicker than my big front brakes

with Ferodo race pads that I have hither to sworn by.

Once all was heated up (use of left foot on warm up lap) the combo performed very well and gave near front just before all lock up performance.

You could try the Pagid road pads on the front instead of green stuff.

I too have seen folk with problems using Green stuff. They are not up to hard work, like down mountain passes or track perhaps.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

SPW,

Well as far as I can work out (in simple terms - I deal in nothing else incidently *confused*) the symptoms of glazing are that the brakes that were once good with plenty of bite - and this was in comparison too very aged pads that were in before- turned pants in a very short space of time, no bite and a really hard shove required to stop the car *thumbdown*

I've only heard good things about Pagid and I have them in my regular car to good effect so that'll be my next course of action. A full front upgrade is my eventual aim but money doesn't allow at the mo so pads it is.

BTW where's good to getem? Need some for Llandow 😬

I got a nice man to do mine while I was on hols but I think he used a file or some other similar high tech appliance *thumbup*

... Hello everybody. In the OLC (official Lotus Club) BBS there was a rather interesting thread concerning the bedding in of Lotus brakes which I will quote in the following:

Nick Adams (Lotus develloping engineer)

Hi Ross, Alastair and Dave recommend the following procedure for bedding Elise brakes in:

With new pads and discs, or just new pads fitted run the car around for 10/20 miles using the brakes gently as normal to bed the two surfaces together. Once this has been done, check the surfaces of the discs and make sure here are no signs of any scoring or damage. Assuming all looks well take the car to an appropriate piece of quiet and straight, well sighted road and perform half a dozen medium pressure stops from 50 mph down to 20 mph to warm the brakes up. Avoid more than a minute between each stop so that the temperatures do not get a chance to deteriorate too much. Once the brakes are warm and the coast is clear, perform 2 or 3 hard stops from 70mph (where local laws allow!) to 20 mph, braking as hard as you can without locking up. Do not come to a halt between each stop, do them as fast as you can to get the brakes really hot. On the third stop come to a halt and keeping your foot on the brake press the brake pedal down as hard as you can and hold it there for at least a couple of minutes, don't apply the handbrake. This hurts if you are doing it right! This will bed the pistons, shims and pads together and will compress the pad material, giving a hard and repeatable pedal. Once the 2 minutes have passed, release the pedal and go for a short drive, using the brakes as normal to let everything return to normal temperatures. The brakes are now fully bedded in and ready for use in anger. Recompressing the pads once every few thousand miles to the above procedure will help keep the pedal firm, especially if you don't normally use the brakes hard.

Cheers, Nick

I have converted from an Exige to a HPC (many reasons, so lets not go there), and remebered this post.

Hope it Helps

Chris... *confused*