Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SuperSport "R"

Graham King

Whilst browsing the Caterham website, I came across the following in the "Online Tuning Shop":-

Supersport upgrade

Power upgrade for the standard EU3 1.6 and 1.8 engines. Includes shift light.

160bhp Supersport R for all 1.6 & 1.8 engines available soon.

Two things here,

Firstly, as the relatively new owner, of a pre-owned standard 1998 1.8K (bought from Caterham), who had been told he could easily upgrade to SuperSport spec during the winter the addition of the characters "EU3" to the first statement seem to contradict this as I assume mine is an EU2 engine.

Secondly, does anyone have any details, including potential cost, on the SuperSport R option, does this apply to all engines as specified or only to EU3 engines as I assume it is an upgrade to the existing SuperSport package.

Any opinions welcomed as I was hoping to upgrade mine during the winter and now one potential route appears, on the face of it, to have been removed.

Thanks.

Graham.

R7 GPK

I think were all waited with bated breath on that on Graham.

I posted exactly the same thread a couple of weeks ago. Opinion is that the Supersport upgrade may be the VHPD throttle bodies. A call to Caterham may result in a negative response as well.

I think I will be going the DVA Power route. Prices are extremely attractive and the modifications look ideal depending on your budget and includes the Emerald ECU.

If you find out what the Supersport R conversion is though lety us all know.

*eek*

The Supersport R will be EU3 only because of wiring issues. It will have connectors to fit the EU3 loom only and will support the EU3 wasted spark ignition.

You can fit all the R bits, such as the throttle bodies and cams and then get an aftermarket ECU such as the Emerald to run the show, but Caterham will probably not do a decent price for splitting the Supersport R pack.

You can do the same sort of thing as a homegrown conversion by following the Dave Andrews route:

Click here for DVAPower

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 30 Sep 2002 10:32:46