Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tuning 2.0l 16v Vauxhall carb engine

Stephen Pickard

Whilst it may not add power if you have not already done so I would recommend upgrading to a 3D ignition system. That upgrade made a huge change to my car.

Failing that SBD or QED are a great start, both web sites have a fair amount of info.

My car has about 190 and only changes were cams and ARP bolts to up the rev limit.

Next steps for me would be better gas flow so manifolds and head work.

Beyond that I think you need to change pistons to cope with cams with more lift.

Alan

Steve,

As Aves indicated 'breathing' both out and particularly in (with the dog-leg Caterham inlet manifold) is the place to start...your choice then is to either ally weld and gas-flow the CC inlet manifold (say £150) or go to DTH throttle bodies and, on your budget, an ignition only ECU and mapping...but to be honest you'll already be well over budget.

Remember also, that unless I'm wrong, SBD only supply the 'bits' these then need to be fitted... engine builders costs based on time are not inconsiderable.

So to answer your question the first step is to consult an engine builder well-acquainted with these requirements. Over here a few of us use Dave Brookes in Crewe, but like all craftsmen, his services don't come cheap, but the results are there to see.

If you're interested give him a call on 01270-661850 and have achat about what you want.

Paul

going dry sump will liberate 10 - 15bhp. That's how the Caterham race Vx series cars were 190bhp, plus they had 48mm Webers. I think 208 kit SBDs figures are a bit optimistic and assume a dry sump engine.

The standard Caterham Weber inlet manifold will restrict you to about 210 -215 but it can be gas flowed and matched to the carbs and head. Mine was done by Ultimate Performance without needing any welding and the engine has made over 250 (with lots of other mods too 😬)

Standard redtop was 150 bhp. We used to see on average 194 from the race engines and they were on 48's with fixed jets and MBE mapped ignition plus they had dry sump systems. With throotle bodies and dry sump you should see around 200 all day long. As Paul says standard manifold will stop you at around 210ish.

Lee

direct to head jenveys, dry sump, tuned exhaust, sport cams(hydraulic) and my car makes around 195bhp on Northamptons rollers. but the rolling road alone will cost a third of your budget. each of the above upgrades with exeption of the cams is above your budget and that was a few years ago.

For £1000, the best you will do is:

48 DCOE's (up from 45's - you should be able to trade on Ebay, so cost to change is minimal)

Uprate the cams to fast road (no valve cutouts on pistons) - again loads of these 2nd hand.

Change your exhaust for a 2.4" collector outlet and fit a larger dia silencer.

Get the carbs jetted on a rolling road.

And if you have anything left over, get a 3d ECU with a throttle pot.

And there are plenty on here to help you fit it together without the need to turn to engine builders etc.

I did this on my Vx

Fitted a set of fast road cams (Q42H rings a bell??)NO modification required (circa £200 cams + cam belt kit £70)whilst retaining the hydraulic followers

Popped it down to a local rolling road and after some simple rejetting she made 190bhp, rolling road said she would see 200 if I had 48 mm carbs but bottom end would not be so crisp. Limiting factor was the carbs and the fact that she was already on the max 41mm chokes. Car felt the same on bottom end, but pulled at the top end for approx another 500 rpm, made her quick enough to chase an SLR all over Wales and a blat soon afterwards inc some top speed antics.

Rolling road was a very reputable local who builds all the Chevron race engines and is a webber agent.

This was done 7 years ago and the car is still running fine (no longer my car)

Total cost

Cams 200

Belt 70

Rolling road 60

TOTAL 330 + a bit for inflation over last 7 years but stil within budget and not intrusive with reagrds to pistons or bottom end mods

Edited by - Rob Morris on 17 Jul 2011 09:00:01

That makes sense. That's a lot of performance for a very modest spend. Nice work Rob. Meanwhile on a parallel thread there are people seriously contemplating spending £5,000 (yes, five thousand pounds!) on a crossflow rebuild. OK gents, chacun a son gout, but £5k gets you a decent SH car.