Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel pump problems

tiddy1

I am having some problems with my Duratec engined car and I think it is probably due to the fuel pump but any suggestions welcome:

Having driven the car about 90 miles and the fuel gague indicating more than a quater full, I tried to drive to work this morning and having started fine managed about 1/2 a mile befoe the car spluttered to a halt and the engine stopped, I managed to re-start after 4 or 5 goes (sounded like it had no fuel) and then could only just about idle with no throttle and lots of popping and banging, eventually managed to coax the revs up and drive home. I put in an extra gallon of fuel and then went off again and all was fine. So it would appear to be lack of fuel, however there is at least 3 gallons in the tank.

This has happened for a several times before and so I have receintly stripped out the tank, cleaned it out, cleaned the fuel filter in the tank,checked the fuel pump, replaced the in line filter, and checked and calibrated the fuel sender unit .

I also checked the breathers and tried removing the fuel filler cap after the inciident to see if the tank was not venting properly .

I put an in line fuel pressure gauge under the bonnet and this showed a healthy 4 bar, however I obviously can't check this when the car is having fits, so I may need to move it to where I can see it whilst driving.

The car is running on an emerald an has a webcon pressure regulator and standard return to tank fuel set up, (not the new single line version)

Next step would be a new fuel pump but I am reluctant to do this unless I am sure it will sort things out.

When running correctly the engine pulls fine

any suggestions

Simon

Could it be that the fuel pump or strainer filter isn't orientated correctly? I'm not even sure this is possible but it would cause the filter to suck air when the level is a bit low. My other thought was poor tank venting but I then saw that you've checked for that. If it happens again remove the fuel cap and see if it recovers as it may only be partially breathing and recovers before you get the cap off.

Might be dodgy timing (slipping or u/s throttle pot) , dodgy coil connections also an option. Of your throttle pot reads throttle site 1 rather than 0 but the throttles are actually on idle it'll run like a sod. Popping and banging doesn't sound like fuel to me rather some sort of electrical or control issue. Has the car been rolling roaded yet?

I filled the tank after the incident and it took 22 litres including the fuel from the can so I reckon it must have had about 14 litres in the tank when I had the issue,

very interesting suggestion about the throttle pot, I will check that, it has been on the RR and driving ok for the ast 2 yrs but the map has never been quite right at idle and low speed pick up

Simon