Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

same old same old tire questions

Alex Birtwisle

I have 13" wheels with super soft A032r's on for nice dry weekend days ..... I am happy there, no probs.

I just need a little clarification on what to put on my 15" wheels (my day to day wheels) for the winter. I am doing about 150 - 200 miles per week to work and back so want a tyre that will last and give good grip....

So the choices are:

Yoko AVS

Yoko A539

Bridgestone RE720

So .......... what are everyones thoughts???

Yes yes yes I have searched the archives but still none the wiser! Go on ... I'll buy you a pint at the festival!!!

Cheers

Alex B

S713 UMY

1.8k Viper Blue with Crutch Straps

!BAN THE CUCUMBER!

Edited by - abirtwisle on 30 Sep 2002 09:32:50

I'm on 539s which I have found to be far better than the pilots I use to run.

The pilots never wear out though, I did 20K on the last set in a year and they just go hard. I have as yet to try the 539s during the winter but on the wet days I have had they seem ok. you are never going to get great performance in the wet with 195, 50 15s as there is just not enough weight in the seven.

Simon

Got CR500's on mine, great tyres but they won't be going back on... Too bloody expensive!

They are lasting well though, I've done 4000 on them so far and there's about 3mm left (I'm a little tail happy too 😬)

Saying that, they're good in the wet and great in the dry, and handle standing water better than most. Hmm, maybe they will be going back on after all!!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Yoko 021Rs would be my recomendation. Anything stickier is going to wear too quickly and you've already got some fun tyres.

However, it'll be cheaper if you sell the 15" set up and get 13" wheels. if you are worried about ground clearance get some 185/70R13s,under 50 quid a tyre.

HOOPY R706KGU come to cam7 - we don't bite

Alex,

I've got Yoko AVS on 15's (will be getting some 13's for track time v soon tho), you're welcome to have a trial blat if you like?!

We used them on track at Oulton this year in the p'ing rain and dry in the afternoon and they wuz great 😬

Jane used them on the ladies days too and was pretty flippin close to the winner in an SLR on the slalom *thumbup* neither of them were taking any prisoners tho 😬

They seem to be wearing well too which can only be a good thing.

I'll be at the fest next weekend if you want to have a go 🤔

cheers

Jason

I second hoopy's comments - it works out cheaper to buy a new set of 13" KN Minotaurs and A021's from George Polley than it does to put decent rubber onto your 15" rims.

If you want to stick with 15" wheels Marc Hicks has just put some Bridgestone RE720s on his and he seems very pleased with them.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings. Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️

Edited by - Nick Woods on 30 Sep 2002 09:48:46

I don't want to put super-dooper grippy rubber on the 15"'s. CR500's are a stupid price for something that will be binned after a few weeks driving to work and back. As I said, I already have 13" wheels with A032r super soft tyres on - so I don't need any more 13" wheels.

I think the RE720's or the A539's (£46 each) are the best option as they will take me to work and back for a good few thousand miles and they should be a damn site better in the dry than the ZV1's I have now.

Thanks for your help chaps!

Alex B

21r's in 15 inch can be very expensive. As its a winter tyre you just want a directional water cutting design as a high proportion of your driving will be on wet roads. The AVS and 720 are good at this as are the Avon ZV1. Bridgestone claim the SO3 is good in the wet as well as it has quite wide guttering although it doesn't seem to be of a design that will disperse water quiclky. I suspect all of the above would give good service.