Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flared to cycle conversion

grover

Has anyone ever converted a 7 from flared to cycle wings? Is it possible to fill the holes left from the flared arches without them being visible from the outside? I say this because I find that currently, the areodynamics are such that anything over about 80 and it's like a brick! Also I'd like to go over to wide track as the front's looking a bit tired and I don't know if this would be realistic with the width of the flared arches.

Seriously, I like that idea! I saw a converted car a few months ago and it looked dreadful. The holes had been 'filled' with poppers, like those used for the roof.

I think bullet holes would look cool!

Or, a bit silly, pictures of birds/other sports cars/whatever with a red cross through them...

One cycle wing at the back! I don't think so Simon!!!

I know what you meant! (See Peters comment)

The worst I've seen lately was on a forecourt in Kent (Sept '00) and just had rusting screws in the riv-nuts and a big rusty bolt. Dreadful doesn't sum it up. S£$t job might!!!!!!!! Can't believe a dealer would expect good money for that.

My mate converted his 89 live axle from flared to cycle wings a couple of years ago. It still looks really good. A body shop filled the holes with some kind of special fibreglass. The car had to be re-sprayed, but from the outside you can't tell it used to have cycle wings.

Robert

• Leadership Team

Don't do it.

You'll devalue the car, and even if the holes look good when filled, there is often a tendency for them to reappear over time because of the expansion levels of differing materials (hence the use of "lead filling" by traditional coach-builders).

The aerodynamics of the car are more effected by the nose and the screen, don't overplay the wings.

Peter, how come wide track gives better engine access???

Stu.

I'm thinking of going to cycle wings on my new (to me) HPC ....

Its a VERY dark green (Jag racing green apparently) - I was thinking of putting a black rubber grommet type thing in each hole (trimmed to fit hole exactly) and painting the top the matching colour to the car - I was hoping this would be almost unnoticeable...but by the sound of this discussion that may not be the case?

How does the cycle wing attach to the front suspension area? Do I need any new bits around that area?

concerned of Southampton.....

Why not replace the "rusty" bolts in the rivnuts by mushroom head anodised ali bolts, and put anosised ali cap washers on the heads of the two large bolts. You can get them in various colors matching the body of your car. I do not believe that they will be more visible than with the flare wings and the normal bolts which, to me , are quite visible.

If the value of your car was lower after conversion to cycle wings, you could always go back to the original setting, the threaded holes being well protected.

Pierre

OK Chris, I admit that I have "just" been contemplating this sacrilege! My Seven is always in its original 40 th Anniversary Pearlescent ruby guise with the silver stripe and I am not planning to devalue it by doing so. Potential buyers in this country are pretty much on the "lotus" side rather than on the more modern look of the Caterhams. Anathema!

My approach looking for ali caps and bolts was really more to find an elegant solution to the high visibility of those zinc plated bolts menacing to rust...

Pierre

DAVE W

If you go to cycle wings you'll need to fit a pair of wing stays, one to each front upright. These cost just under £50 plus the dreaded from caterham. (It also means bleeding the brakes as the brake pipe goes through the stay). If you have 205/45 r16 tyres (A la HPC) you'll need to mention this because they are slightly different to the 185/60 r13 ones (I've just had to swap mine for this reason). If you're only contemplating 13"s I'll have a pair of stays going cheap.

Mike

Plus you have to relocate the repeater indicators, or forget them altogether like many do. I made this conversion last year and think it is worthwhile. As my car is used for sprints I just put a dirty great race number background over the holes and it looks okay. When it comes to selling the car though, I will convert it back to clamshell wings.