Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen washer bottle alternatives

Doug

Having become increasingly irritate at having to move the very grotty looking PVC oil catch tank from just above the battery on my 1996 Seven every time I disconnect or remove the battery, I have relocated a smarter one above the gearbox where the washer bottle originally was.

I now have to do something about the washer set up! I have bought an external pump to mount on the bulkhead, together with various fittings and fixtures, and am after a smaller, neater water bottle. Ideally something to go above the sloping part of the heater would seem an ideal location but getting a flat or wedge shaped container seems easier said than done!

What has been done by others with this age of car? I feel sure I'm not unique. The only real option I can see would be to use a clear PVC water bottle, like the ones used by cyclists...

Doug,

I know your problem because I have been thinking for 5 years to find a decent and neat alternative for the plastic washer tank.

Reason for it being lack of space since I did some improvements on the brake piping and put the battery on the position of the heater.

For the time being, I use a classic Lucas bottle with a separate pump. This however is still too big for me, the best solution is a small aluminium bottle but unable to find.

Jack Flash

Jack Flash, I've used an aluminium camping drink bottle for my oil catch tank. £4.00 from Go Outdoors. Made a bracket up with a good quality stainless steel jubilee-type clip and it looks the business.

As far as the windscreen washer bottle is concerned, I only want a litre or thereabout so a plastic drinks bottle with a wide screw on lid like the one here will be ideal. you can even mark on it the mix level for washer fluid:water.

Edited by - Doug on 27 Jun 2011 17:22:42

Steve T - that's the James Bond 7 system that Q invented (hence why mine and many other cars have a Q registration).

When the baddy sits in the passenger seat of an aeroscreened 7, you just press the washer button and the baddie gets it in the eye . You do of course need to remove the jet on the driver's side otherwise you get it too *rolleyes*

Andy

I think you are on to something with the cycle bottle idea. There are some nice spun aluminium bottles, that fit into a cycle cage bracket, that would look good under the bonnet.

Get the bracket in ali too, and if you run a remote motor, all you would need is to drill the screw on cap.

I am thinking of doing this myself...

(However - you can't carry alot of water though...)

Edited by - Felixgogo on 28 Jun 2011 11:57:17