Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump to road gap

pie_boy69

Hi Keith,

Can't speak for K's but I had a shallow sump on my BDR and changed it to a dry sump and it made all the difference... 2 sumps a month to none in 10 years. It did make it shallower by an inch or more but mostly changed the shape and frontal area so I don't hit it. Also although I do have an almighty dink in it (no idea how) it didn't split and is still going strong 7 years later. Also on track days the larger amount of oil in a taller tank gives more saftey on long corners.

Cheers, Simon.

I have often wondered how these people running thirteen inch wheels get on for ground clearance. I presume the profiles are 50's? I guess for track use they are fine but I can ground my 7 (K) sump with fifteen inch 'Prisoners' (50 profile) on a good few speed bumps. There is one place where my other half has to get out & it will still touch at 0 mph!

16V DOHC engines are very tall. The K-series has the extra cast web for the bottom attachment of its through bolts making it even taller for its capacity.

The engine dangles out of the bottom of the engine bay. If you wanted to lower the C of G you would lower bits of the car that at the moment are in no danger of grounding out. i.e. The chassis. The engine is already too low. The ideal engineering solution being when everything reaches its limit state at once.

The dry sump on the K doesn't make it any shallower. The sump has more of a Schumacher-style and less of a Coulthard-style chin.

I've just got a set of HPC 205/45-R16 wheels/tyres for my 1.6 k SS for this very reason. With 185/60 R13 021Rs my sump was catching on the speed humps in the car park at work, and even on a concrete edging on my mates drive! I was driving round deliberately avoiding any sort of lump/bump/manhole, but now it's OK. Downside was having to buy/fit new brackets for my front wings.

Mike

My 1.6K SS has Prisoner alloys with Michelin Pilot's fitted (195/50x15)and have often wondered about clouting speed humps etc but thus far have not had a problem - and there are quite a few around here to worry about. When building the car I was concerned about the ride height not being as the book recommends but there's not a lot you can do about it on std suspension.

Perhaps some of you are carrying a bit more weight on board!