Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Why don't 7's explode?

Alex Wong1697456877

I've just been replacing my petrol pump and was wondering why they don't explode every now and then. There are two uninsulated electrical connections in a injection tank. The fuel pump and the rheostat for the fuel gauge. Surely a single spark from either of these points (especially the rheostat as it's in the fumes above the petrol when the tank isn't full) and the petrol would ignite. I know it doesn't cos we're all still here but I wondered why.

Can anybody reassure me that it can't happen?

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Reassembled it. Turn key - fuse blows.

After tracking down most of the live feed to the pump, (thanks Roger) I found the offending short circuit. Where the electrical feed goes into the pump is a resin filled block. This is resin filled to hide the appaling electrical connection inside. After chipping the resin away, I re-soldered it and filled it with epoxy. I've got about 10 cable ties to re-fit but hopefuly everything's ok now. Anybody else had this problem?

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Alex

All flamable substances have a volume to air range ABOVE or BELOW which they will NOT ignite. Some gasses like Acetylene have a very wide range and anything between 2.5% to 80% by volume in air will give you a very flamable mixture indeed.

However, by comparison petroleum has a very narrow range and requires 1.4% to 7.6% by volume in air to make a flamable mixture.

Therefore, with a normaly sealed Seven petrol tank, you will never under normal circumstances, get the petroleum to air mixture existing above the liquid level within the flamable range required. It will allways be far too rich to support combustion.

So rest in peace you should never go 'BANG'.

John Alston

I am afraid I beg to differ, I am but a humble racer but at Cadwell Park I came up behind Richard Hassell in an SLR with fire coming nicely from his fuel tank. He pulled over as I passed and jumped out and proceeded to break all known 100 and 200 metre records

in his dash for safety. He was very quick I swear he was catching my Caterham on foot.

But for a brave marshall his 7 would have been toast, but it still was a mess

It was not Richard's fuel tank that was on fire, but the fuel tank vent pipe. In their wisdom, Caterham decided to run an open pipe as the breather on Superlights and Superlight Rs. It tends to piddle fuel out in left hand bends, then you just need something hot to come along and there is bound to be some combination of vapour and oxygen in a flammable range.

Indeed the amount of Oxygen required to ignite Petrol is really quite large. In some parts of the States Oxygen is added to petrol at the refinery to improve its emmissions but even then though its Oxygen rich they still don't go bang. I have often wondered though if this remains the same if you run the tank down to its last drop of Petrol, as one could see a situation where there was very little petrol in the pump when its on its last few drops of fuel and an awful lot of air. Anyone care to comment ?