Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Interchangeable air filter/airbox set-up for Jenvey TBs

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Has anyone got such a set-up with Jenvey throttle bodies?

I know there is a solution for roller barrels from Bernard Scouse/Auto-Teknix who supply an airbox that fits to the standard backplate so that you can swap between standard foam filter and airbox.

I guess a RB backplate could be modified or a blank cut from a template - I just wondered if anyone had actually gone this route or if there is an easier solution.

I already have a BS airbox fitted so if there was a foam filter that would fit the BS/Jenvey backplate then that would do.

Shaun, I have Jenvey TBs on my Zetec. I had a conversation with Pete McEwan at Raceline last year about much the same thing and he said that Pipercross do a backplate blank which can be cut out, presumably using a template. The bonnet opening would require enlarging which can be a pain to get right. I believe the backplate can then be used with either a foam filter or an airbox.

The other aspect Pete mentioned was the length of the trumpets. The ones I currently have with my K&N filters are actually a bit on the short side and, ideally should be longer but the longer ones won't have enough clearance at the trumpet end. This is solved by changing the air filter.

Given the hastle of altering the bonnet, I've decided to stay with the K&Ns for the time being. If the bonnet needs a respray in the future I might reconsider then.

Hello,

Not an answer to the interchangeable airbox question, but an alternative to the K&Ns.

I have just moved from Webers with K&Ns to TBs and found the same problem with trumpets. The issue is not just the length, but also the bellmouth diameter of the jenvey trumpets.

The solution I found was to use a foam filter from RamAir and a set of alloy (bolt-on)trumpets from Eurocarb. The trumpets are 50mm long and are the same OD as those on my old webers. The filter is about the same size as the Pipercross 500 filter, so it fits in the same bonnet opening as the K&Ns without needing to re-cut it. In addition it is attached using camlock fasteneing from the rear of the backplate, so no nasty lugs sticking out around the edges. The guys down at RamAir make them up to order and the filter and blank backplate was about £80, so much cheaper than pipercross.

If you are interested i can take some pics and e-mail them later in the week.

Phil

The Jenvey back plates (both flat and 50mm dished) are the same as the Pipercross back plates, with the two tongues on one side and three Dzus fasteners on the other. So if the BS airbox uses a standard Jenvey back plate (which I think it does?), then it means you can fit any of the Pipercross sausage/domed filters and change around at leisure.

This is the setup I use, custom deep back plate, flipped to clear the Jenvey fuel rail and chassis rail, hanging out of the bonnet. Yes, the Pipercross writing is upside down, but it doesn't bother me really.

http://images58.fotki.com/v511/photos/8/42688/7812053/DSCF1003-vi.jpg

• Support Team

Thanks for the ideas - looks like I need to get myself a Pipercross backplate and see how it fits. Ideally the filter and airbox will stay within the confines of the bonnet as I don't really want to chop a hole in it.

I'm guessing those are 90mm trumpets (very nice *smokin*)- do you think you could have got the filter inside the bonnet? Do you think a flat backplate would fit or is the dished one required for clearance?

Thanks,

Shaun

Have done exact the same on my Zetec, Jenveys with 90mm trumpets just some weeks ago. Used Pipercross filter C604D and backplate C6131 for that and the only modification to the backplate was to remove the fixing on the top middle to get bonnet clearance. Instead of the screw I just cable tie this point now. The bonnet how has needs to be enlarge though, it’s a bit tricky and you should take your time to do it step by step with patience but looks fine now without respraying. Can take pictures later if needed.

Cheers Volker

Edited by - Damdy-Cash on 24 Jun 2011 09:45:27

Shaun, I have similar 90mm carbon fibre trumpets and spacers (30mm) between my trumpets and jenveys. With a slightly customised filter backplate (really not customised, just further spaced away from the jenveys by a bit as I used the original fuel rail) I could get a sausage filter under the bonnet. Might rub slightly, but still fit OK.

The filter I use is a massive C604D as well (scored cheap and new from eBay), but the backplate is quite deep, so the 100mm trumpets only stick out 20mm or so. This means that I could have fitted a much smaller filter and keep everything under the bonnet. The Pipercross part numbers and dimensions are here.

• Support Team

Thanks David - would be useful to see if/where it will foul.

It looks like the deep Jenvey backplate might be the answer, as it should clear the fuel rail, coupled with a shallow Jenvey/Pipercross filter to sit inside the bonnet. Will then need to try the BS airbox to see if that fits inside the bonnet as well.

Getting somewhere now - thanks for all the replies.

Shaun

Shaun, What is your end objective? Are you trying to have a swappable system between using a BS airbox or using a foam filter? If so, for what reason?

FWIW I spoke with Dave Walker a while back and asked if i replaced my BS airbox with a Pipercross air filter, would it improve power. His reply was it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever in his experience...

Cheers

• Support Team
Chris - as you know my new class 5 engine was down on power from what was expected. I am investigating every option. Talking to Steve at Track and Road, airboxes can have a major effect, expecially with cams that have a large overlap. It is usually pulse interference effects and the big car manufacturers spend millions on developing the right length inlet tracts to eliminate these effects. Just ask any Duratec R500 owner what effect the "quiet" airbox has on power! My plan is, as you guessed, to have a swappable system, mainly so I can prove on the rolling road if the airbox is a problem or not. If it is then I will continue with the swappable system, if not I'll just leave the airbox on. Anyway my existing airbox is very close to the 90mm trumpets so I would like to use one that sits further away - I was looking at your airbox at Gurston and it looked to be nearer the outside of the car so would hopefully give more clearance. If I can find my missing 20 horses I will be a happy man.

Quoting Supersprint1988: 
Hi Volker

I am about to do this.

How did you manage to get a nice cut in the bonnet and what tools did you use *confused*

Some pics would be nice

Cheers

Carsten

Hi Carsten, sorry for the late reply, I had to take some pics first.

The job is quiet straight forward, just take your time and don't try to get it to fast right.

I've taken the internal metal mesh of the foam filter out, mounted the bonnet (you can squeeze the foam now to get the bonnet on). Stick paper tape all around the hole and market step by step the aluminum that I need to cut away with a snips first and later with a small drilling machine grindstone (sure the real name is different). Mounted it again, make some marks and so on…

Eventually you get it where it should be. Again, take your time and prefer small pieces to cut away.

Hope that helps a bit, cheers Volker

here

here

Edited by - Damdy-Cash on 29 Jun 2011 07:58:28

Yes Carsten, 90mm trumpets, filter C604D and backplate C6131 with removed middle fixing to get the needed bonnet clearance, other modification on the nose to have clearance for the right fixing. Hope you can see this on the second picture above. Cheers Volker

Edited by - Damdy-Cash on 29 Jun 2011 10:18:22

• 5 months later...
You don't need to go to the extreme of cutting up the bonnet to get the filter to fit. I made a card template that matched the Pipercross backplate. After several attempts offsetting the fixing position, I got it to fit. I bought a blank backplate and then marked out the desired hole positions. I still had to remove 4-5 mm off the middle fixing lug. Proper job!