Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Incontinent K series

Ian.Yeoman

I have a major engine issue with a 1.9, dry sump K series engine. Most of the (considerable) power seems to be devoted to pumping all the oil out through the catch tank via the bell housing tower. Before I resort to open heart self-surgery can anyone point to a likely cause or failing that someone good with a K series in the South Bucks area ?

• Support Team

Hi Ian - I had similar issues with my original 1.9. It seems to come down to the breathing. I now route the dry sump tower hose to the cam cover (where the breather from the airbox/filter backplate was attached) and the other cam cover outlet (probably blanked at the moment) to the catch tank. I just Araldited a large grommet into the hole in the air box backplate where the cam cover used to breathe from.

If you need a picture, let me know and I'll post one up tonight.

Shaun

Many thanks Shaun, I'll give that a go. The initial oil fill (cold) was to the bottom of the tower, below the end of the dipstick but gives OK pressure when cranking. I don't think the level is that critical on dry sump until you start thrashing it and you need the volume to keep temperatures under control. Obviously you wouldn't give it full beans without the recommended 6L.

• Area Representative

Ian,

Have you checked the level in the bell tank immediately after the engine has stopped when it is all hot?

Whilst they are supposed to take 6L, if its and oil and filter change, then I normally can't even get 5L in.

Ian,

I think you have given the answer in saying

The initial oil fill (cold) was to the bottom of the tower

Dry sump levels should be checked by running up to temperature, switch off and immediately check that there is 9-10" depth of oil in the bell tank housing. Note depth as measure up from the bottom of the tank.

By filling the tank to the bottom of the tower I think you have overfilled it. When I do an oil change with filter on mine I usually only get 4.5 litres out and replace with the same.

Did you measure how much you put in?