Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How would you respond to these guys?

New Cat

My wife received a call about her old car from a loss adjuster saying that it had been involved in an accident and asking for details of the new keeper.

There has been no suggestion that the accident occured while under our ownership but would you provide the new keepers details assuming you had them? I'm inclined to tell them to speak to the DVLA. The car was purchased with cash.

As a matter of interest, did you get (and keep) the letter from DVLA confirming you had notified them of a change in registered keeper?

If it were me I'd ask them to request the information in writing and then provide it along with a copy of the DVLA letter.

how does the 'loss adjuster' know that your wife was a previous owner, but doesn't know who the current owner is? And how did he get her phone number?

if it's been involved in an accident the right route is surely police and DVLA as has been said

smells fishy to me

I wouldn't tell them a dicky. "I no longer own this car" would be all they would get out of me. I have no obligation to tell them anything, they are not the police or any other authority. If they want anything else they should get it from DVLA.

"Oh, have you sold it? May we ask what was the approximate value?"

"No you may not. That's my business."