Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dry sump tank

Andrew Senior

I have what I think is an ex Vauxhall race car with the short passenger footwell and a Caterham dry sump tank integral with the bellhousing.

I understand this is not the optimum as the capacity is too low and the heat cooks the clutch.

I think from reading previous threads that I can fit a dry sump tank in front of the passenger footwell. Is this true and what sort do people recommend? Can I just re route the existing system into the new tank if I get some new hoses made up?

Presumably it would not be immediately necessary to replace the bellhousing but the next question is what is the source/part number of the suitable replacement.

Finally I understand that there are better dry sump set ups that run a vacuum in the sump. I guess this could be added later, but what sort is recommended?

AJSenior

Andrew,

You are right and wrong.

The main problem with the VX bellhousing was the seals on the clutch slave cylinder failing due to excess heat. Caterham changed the seal material and the new type is fine so long as you do not run an engine whihc generates obscene oil temperatures. - i.e. under 235bhp and you will be fine.

The only tank whihc fits in front of the passenger footwell extension is a custom made one.

SBD's dry sump system which runs slight vacuum in the (better described as <1 bar) in the crankcase is tempremental and prone to aireation and cativation problems IMHO.

Best option is to stick with what you have unless:

You rev to over 8500rpm (or 8000 if you keep it up the top end a lot) - get the Swindon Racing Engines STEEL oil pump gear - http://www.swindon-engines.com/

If you have over 235bhp and need the additional capacity to keep the oil temp down, build a tank to the design I have developed. If you want the design email me and I will email you back a drawing. Get it made by Brise Fabrications in Crayford Kent. - Contact Tim Honess.

I have suffered all the pain of being somone elses R&D guinnea pig. Trust me!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

I am not that familiar with the Caterham integral system but if you have a Pace or Caterham supplied Pace 2 stage scavenge pump with a hose coming off it that goes to the bell housing tank you can re-route this pipe to the return feed on a normal larger tank.

Same goes for the oil pump feed if there is a hose from integral tank change it to the new tank supply pipe.

The breather pipe from the camcover goes to the one of the top pipes on the tank and the other

goes to a catch tank that should also be vented by a hose out under the car for a clean engine bay.

You will have plenty of room for a large tank with a short passenger footwell.

The caterham system is neat but as you say lacks capacity for say endurance racing.

I have read there were problems with the early clutch slave cyls but these were fixed.

I have heard mixed reports on the vacuum systems some say they are good others don't like the theory or practise. Don't think you gain that much by it.

You also need a 3 stage scavenge pump and to remove or blank off of something your internal oil pressure pump.

The internal pressure pumps can fail at higher than standard max rpm and you can get steel shafted ones.

You can see pics of my dry sump installation on the site below. Follow the links part and race mods.

I can send you larger pics if you should need them.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 26 Sep 2002 23:35:15

Andrew

I use a Pace tank in place of the passenger footwell extension. It works well and looks quite neat imo.

I decided on the Pace tank for a few reasons one being that the inlet and outlet pipes can face different directions which makes the plumbing a bit easier and neater.

Ditto Arnie on the steel gears. Not nice when they let go!

James

P17HPC The K2RUM Eater

K2RUM EATER@hotmail.com