Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

16Vx Classic sump leak

Tardis

Hi, I am a new member and have recently finished building a Vx Classic (Black) Q368 OOT. I have covered 1400 miles in the last 10 months and have noticed a small leak (oil) at the back of the sump, where it joins the bellhousing. Is this a common occurrence? or am I just unlucky ☹️. I have checked the allen screws for tightness - seeing as the sump has 'Caterham' as part of the casting.

There is also an annoying 'witness' of oil where the propshaft joins the gearbox - have I knackered the seal fitting the propshaft? or is it because the seals do not get renewed during the gearbox reconditioning?

I would welcome any advice

Cindy

Hi,

as Steve said, my new 1.8 Vauxhall Beaulieu had a problem where oil seemed to get into the bell housing and get thrown out of a gap between the engine and bell housing on the nearside. The oil ran along the top of the sump and onto the floor.

I got Caterham to replace the rear main seal at the post build check at no cost to myself (which was nice). Since then I've done 1700 miles and had no problems at all (tempting fate!). Caterham were very happy to do this under warranty as I guess they should be.

Regards,

/Phil.