Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Diff breather splattering everything!

Julian Thompson

Years and years and years ago we used to have problems with oil spewing out of gear boxes and rear drive boxes. Solution was dead simple. We stopped using recommended mediocre oils.

Do you know what's in there? The simple rule of thumb is (although it doesn't always apply) is that the more you pay for oil, the better it is.

Cheap stuff seems to froth up and escape out of every conceivable orifice (even ones you don't know about).

I have some trick Castrol oil. I'll send you some. As long as you can get the old stuff out and the new stuff in and not overfill it (as alicat suggested)it should sort you out. If it doesn't I'll buy you a curry. How does that sound?

AMMO

The diff oil I used was just the straight Castrol recommended - EP90 I think. Not overfilled

I was advised by a Castrol tech buff (I have a Castrol account!) to use "B373" - is this the stuff you are referring to Ammo?

This was apparantly developed for racing - I chickened out on advice from Caterham originally cos they hadn't heard of it!

Julian

Castrol EP 90 is the recommended gear we used to use that used to spew out. Smells of sulphur and brings me out in a rash. The Devil's own brew! It is cheap nasty rubbish. The stuff I'm talking about is TAF-X or even better TAF-XJ. Around five quid a half litre (Ai caramba!).

Got a drum of the stuff here. I'm in a no lose situation. If it doesn't work I buy you a curry. If it does work you buy me one.

Ciao ciao.

Ammo

AMMO

Hmmmmmmn. I've got a crate full too!!! (TAF-X) - I bought a box because the Castrol chappy recommended I run it my 6 speed gearbox as it is GL4 (Keeps Caterham happy!) and yet a multigrade oil + fully synthetic. What's TAF-XJ?

This wasn't mentioned as a possible alternative for the diff, as I thought (and trust me I know buggggggger all about oils,) that you couldn't use a multigrade in an LSD?

Anyhow - the offer's really kind - and I can try it myself using my own TAF-X and you can STILL buy me a curry if it doesn't work! 😬 😬

Julian

Sounds like a plan.

What have I got to lose? I get to have a curry whatever the outcome.

Seriously, TAF-X should work fine, but I will willingly send you some SAF-XJ if you want (might have called it TAF-XJ in a moment of confusion).

AMMO

I vented my diff breather into the boot space. Not had any spewing out but it would be easier to

clean and verify it was the diff breathing and not leaking. Could put a longer hose and catch bottle on even...

I used it as the filler pipe once the level plug had been removed it was super easy to top up the diff from the boot instead of faffing about under the car.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Hi Julian,

You haven`t posted what type of LSD you have fitted. If its a Suretrack torque biasing gear type then any Hypoy EP 80 should be ok but if its a ZF plate type then a specific LS oil is recomended, I use Castrol Hypoy LS and B373 was also recomended to me. I have had no oil spewing out to date.

Rob

Edited by - Rob walker on 27 Sep 2002 08:50:00

Julian

Sorry don't know what the J stands for.

SAF-XJ is a 75w/140 API GL5 extreme pressure hypoid gear oil recommended for conventional and lsd type diffs. Used by BMW in the Z3 (BMW, ZF TE-ML 05) and also various rally cars.

I used it in my shaft driven race bike on Castrol's recommendation and found it to be better than anything else I used.

I have 2/3rds of a twenty five litre drum which I have tried to sell with no success. Now I can't even give the bloody stuff away without people getting all fussy! Next you'll want to know what colour it is I suppose? *wink* Not telling you. You'll have to take some to find out.

Seriously, if you'd like to try some let me know and I'll send it over.

AMMO

*smile*

What colour is it? 😬

Only joking! - The J obviously refers to something that makes it GL5 rather than the GL4 of the TAF-X .

This makes TAF-X suitable for Caterham 6 speeders and TAF-XJ unsuitable - but obviously it seems that it'd be good in the diff.

I'm going to drain the fluid tonight, clean everything up + make sure there are no nasties !

Cheers

Jue