Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Converting to cycles

Ozzy

Could someone tell me exactly what's involved in converting from clams to cycles?

Apart from the holes in the sideskins (which is another problem) what parts are needed, and approximate cost of all parts? Is it just a question of unbolting current wingstays, and bolting on new ones?

Edited by - Old But Bold on 12 Jun 2011 16:58:12

You will need:

2 cycle wing stays

cycle wings

new head lamp brackets

when removeing the clamsyou may need to hold the back of the rivnut with mole grips to stop it turning and damaging the side skin

you will need to remove and refit head lamps the tricky bit is threading the wires through the new brackets

realign the headlamps

remove the brake hoses from the caliper end and and reconnect through cycle wing stay

it was pretty straight forward to do but i never did find a solution to covering the hole left by the clams

Hope this helps

Regards

Nigel

It was one of the first changes (note absence of upgrade to avoid upsetting the canoeists!) I made to my 7. I cut down the existing top stay/headlight bracket which you can see in before and after front end shots here. It's not as neat as the newer headlight mounts, but it's one less thing to buy. I was lucky to find someone who wanted to change from cycles to clams so we just swapped everything over.

I filled the sideskin holes with big rivets and then painted the car! I bought a quick rack from Mark Collins who had bought two the same by mistake!

Put a post in 'Wanted' you will be surprised how many people buy kit and don't use it or have spares.

Thanks all. Interesting, as I had a chat with Tony The Brush today. He's repainted a couple of converted cars, but although he can succesfully fill in the holes, he said he wasn't entirely happy with the result, as the sides are always slightly dented from the pull on the original bolts, and in his opinion it doesn't look great. He would'nt want to do it again, unless you were persistant, and accepted it may not be perfect afterwards. He would much rather the car was re-skinned, but obviously that would cost a hell of a lot more, and then respray plus all the other bits etc, I would imagine may probably run into a couple of grand!

So not sure that's a viable proposition at the moment.

Do you think anyone notices at 70mph? It may offend a professional or a polisher but it didn't bother me. The fascination of watching your front wheel bouncing up and down and turning in to a right hander never diminishes! *thumbup*