Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine cutting out/ hesitation

F355GTS

Car is a 98 SLR with a Minister VHPD derived engine, std Rover Throttle bodies, SLR cams and Rover Mems ECU

At Donington today the car suffered momentary power loss, not like a misfire but as if the whole engine dies for maybe a quarter of a second or so, it was only apparent when on a balanced throttle between 6k and 7k revs, when under full throttle it works fine and at all other revs it is fine. I could recreate the fault at will based on the above revs etc. All HT, coil, ignition wires seem fine.

thought it might be fuel pickup but same problem persists with 1/4 or 3/4 tank

Only thing changed on car since last run on Friday last week when car was fine is fitment of a new Redtop Battery, All connections checked and appear fine.

Any ideas?

Mark

Can you revert to the old battery to eliminate the cause. I know at least one owner who has given up on a Red Top with a MEMS, but that was mostly to do with starting. When running, the alternator should be assuring 14.4 volts.

It might be worth checking the spark plug gaps and making sure the HT leads are clean (use meths and cotton woolbuds) and there is no crud on the insulator of the spark plugs. All of this will minimise RF interference.

I had a similar problem with my K , it felt like the engine went flat for a fraction of a second under load , try checking the inside of the dizzy cap to see the condition of the contacts , I had burnt contacts due to the spark jumping . The problem was solved by removing and reseting the cam drive plug to TDC on 1 .

Since then I have changed to wasted spark , which has proved reliable .

Dave

Wallbanger

I've cleaned all the HT leads and will run it up in the dark tonight to see if I can see any arcing and then test it at Rockingham on Sunday. Interesting though as I only noticed it on the last part of Craner (I know I should be taking it flat!) and Coppice, just assumed these were the only places where I happened to be at those revs and on a balanced throttle, Dizzy was quite oily although no evidence of tracking and HT leads generally a bit grubby with oily film

Mark