Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Wheel Play

MikeW

After some faily heavy use ( but no knocks) I have some play between the steering wheel and the rack- the column moves but the wheels dont and it's not the clamp bolts.It's about a cm of radial movement in the steering wheel before the wheels move. How do I eliminate it?

Thanks

MikeW

As alicat says follow the shaft down to find exactly where the play is. Assuming that it is in the rack you can adjust it out. You should have a large nut above where the shaft goes into the rack. This is a locknut for the adjusting screw which when turned will take out any rack backlash. Adjust with the wheels off the ground and do not overtighten. When finished check rack through its full deflection.

I posted this a while ago. You may find it useful - especially the last sentence.

If I remember correctly the damper button should have 0.002 / 0.004 endfloat. This needs to be measured along the complete used length of the rack in order to avoid preload (binding). The damper spring will keep the contact of the pinion and rack only to alieviate rack knock (not really relevant to a Seven.

The bottom line, as correctly mention previously, is to avoid binding.

By the way, one of the best rack lubricants is EP140 - yes 140, at about a 1/4 of a pint.

Steve B

Mike I think the large nut is around 32mm or there abouts. One thing to check is the condition of the ball joints. This has happened to me and I adjusted then re-adjusted and for the life of me couldn't get rid of the play and then when checking the wheel bearings (I'd just replaced the brake discs) I noticed that eh near side ball joint has quite alot of play in it.

Just a thought *idea*

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ

The nut is bigger than 32mm, about 35mm i think.

While I'm here... my rack took some damage in my knock at cadwell. It is very stiff but non-graunchy around the straightahead poistion - even with the adjuster nut wound right off. I reckon the actual rack internally is slightly buckled.

So - where can i send it to get it rebuilt 🤔

HOOPY R706KGU come to cam7 - we don't bite